Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Key to getting adequate smoke on BGE - cant get enough smoke.

Hello I have a WSM and have never had trouble getting great smoke on pork butt or food in general. New BGE XL and I use with a BBQ Guru Cyberq and I have a heck of a time to getting enough hickory smoke. I use wood chunks and have used up to 5 huge hand size chunks - any idea on how to get more smoke? I hope the BGE is not a tradeoff of cooking efficiency with a lack of airflow for good smokey flavor. Thanks Mark

Comments

• rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219

rest easy, there isn't a trade off at all. Once you figure out how to regulate air and smoke, you won't go back to the WSM. I use 2 large and an XL for my competitions, and never have any problems with the amount of smoke. If you are putting the chunks near the outside edge of the XL, that may be your problem. Try putting the bulk of the chunks towards the middle, and smaller amouts towards the outer edges. I stay about 3 inches from the outside.

• Thanks rsmith - how many wood chunks - fist sized would you put for a 9 lb pork butt - like good amount of smoke but not overpowering. Thanks
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    what is a wsm??? [-O<
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    daffy1909 said:

what is a wsm??? [-O<

Wsm - Weber Smokey Mountain.

OP - try mixing chunks throughout the lump when loading up the charcoal.

• Thanks rsmith - how many wood chunks - fist sized would you put for a 9 lb pork butt - like good amount of smoke but not overpowering. Thanks
    I use about 4 or 5, any more than that it may get too much if using hickory. I like peach wood with pork, and use 6 or 7 of that. wWhen doing ribs, I will use about 4 of cherry. Hope it works out for you. let me know.