Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometers

Options
Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
I have a Maverick E73 and need to order a new food probe. I made the mistake of not having it over the platesetter or wrapping it. I thought I would order a smoker probe as well which together was goin to cost about $25. That is about half the price of a new unit. Decisions, decisions. Is there a better thermometer that any of you are using or that you would recommend?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    There was a post earlier about a discount on the 732 from amazon. 45 bucks.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    try baking your probes, cable and all, in the oven at 170 for a few hours.  Fixes the problem if water intrusion caused it to fail.  Doesn't work if the cable is in two sections... :D
    Options
    I never thought about water intrusion but was baffled that it went bad on a 350 degree turkey cook. Thanks for the tip

analyze adapt overcome

• jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Options
    I have the Thermoworks TW8060 and love it. I loved ky thermapen so much it seemed only natural. I've never heard anybody say "I like Mavericks instant-read thermometer so much so mabye I'll try their probe thermometer." As far as the lack of remoonitoring. I'm quite capable of taking a few steps outside to check every few hours. Not to mention it's just one more thing that could break. I highly recommend the thermoworks unit. Thermocouples.are so much more rugged as well. The kit comes with a meat probe and crocodile clip. Whole thing will run you about 130.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    The TW 8060 is great, but not very helpful unless you are beside the grill. The 732 is a good remote monitoring unit, but, keep the probes wrapped with tin foil and change it every so often. Moisture intrusion is an issue, I'm sure - so like Nola suggested dry it out, then keep it dry. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I found a high heat smoke probe (716 F) for $19 that I think I may order also.  But will be usin the foil trick goin forward

analyze adapt overcome