Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shark

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
This was going to be titled "Jaws", when I actually thought I'd like it.  Oh, well, Rule #33; Eggheads appreciate failures as much as successes, because we all learn by them.

Bought some shark on the spur, when I saw it in the case.  Can't say what kind, it was just generic "shark".  Never tried this before.

Marinated for an hour in soy sauce, cooked direct, raised grid for 4 or 5 minutes a side.

Served with asparagus marinated in teriyaki, a wild rice mix, and tomatoes with avocado.  The tomatoes and avocado were the best part of the meal.

The shark was tough, like a steak, and at even one hour too salty from the soy.  The teriyaki caramelized on the asparagus and was not the best I've done.

Got to try things you haven't done, but this one is off the list.  Oh well, the pics turned out OK.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Good try Doc!! Your due for a failure all your meals look awesome!!

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Always wondered but haven't tried. Pictures do look good, I had never heared of Avocados called Alligator pears, now i have. Thanks for posting! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Ernest Hemingway called avocados "Alligator Pears".   Islands in the Stream is in the top three favorite books for me.

Shamelessly reposted from an earlier string:

"The first thing you noticed, coming out of thestream and up to the island, was a small smudge on the  horizon, usually marked by a column of smoke.  Next you could see the tall coconut palms rising higher above the horizon, and then finally the house.  The house was built right into the island, like a ship, and when the trade winds blew, the smoke from theBigGreen Egg on the deck went through the house from wind side and out the lee...."
    BigGreenEggsintheStream, Part 1, Andros, Ernest Eggingway

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Well it looks amazing doc!

XLBGE 
  • SeeingSpots
    Options
    No pain no gain!
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Big Green Eggs in the Stream.. I like it and will be calling them Alligator Pears from now on. I did look it up before I posted wondering if it was a heirloom variety or something like that. Avagato Pear to Alligator Pear, its interesting how the name changes from different dialects over the years. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Well it looks amazing doc!
    Sadly, looks can be deceiving.  Next time you see this meal there will probably be salmon on the plate.

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    So where do you get those Asparagie holder thingies?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Williams Sonoma

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Bummer that it didn't turn out better. I'd offer advice, but I've never cooked shark before. I wouldn't give up on it just yet. Maybe somebody will come along that can give you some tips.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Mako shark is about the best eating shark meat, and in my opinion it isn't terrific!  Shark meat is usually soaked in milk to remove the piss from the flesh.  Sharks piss thru their flesh, and thats what causes a strong fishy taste in eating them.  Mako is said to tastelike Swordfish, i have tried it five or six times and it still tastes like "shark meat" to me.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Plano_JJ said:
    So where do you get those Asparagie holder thingies?
    Yea, I was going to ask where you got the grilling chip clips.  Cool tool.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    definatly soak in milk, even add a little lemon to the milk until it curdles as it will soften the meat. as said its full of urine and some sharks are worse. only way ive eaten them were bite sized pieces on a skewer with pineapple and huge scollops and they were good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NEWB_IN_NOLA
    Options
    I have never cooked shark, but have eaten some pretty tasty fresh grilled hammerhead on the beach a while back. Found on web: The flesh of sharks contains urea to prevent the liquid in their bodies, which is less salty than seawater, from being lost through osmosis. In the hours after a shark is killed, this urea turns into ammonia. As such, sharks must be bled immediately after they are caught, or the meat takes on an ammonia taste. A slight ammonia smell can be eliminated by soaking the meat in buttermilk or lemon juice for 30 minutes. Shark meat should thus be eaten 1 - 2 days after the fish is caught. Place fillets or steak chunks on skewers directly on a greased grill, 10 to 15cm above prepared coals or fire. Baste with butter, oil, or marinade. Cook until opaque and moist on the inside, 6 to 8 minutes.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited January 2013
    Options
    No shark for this guy. I just imagine it would be tough. I applaud your ambition though Doc =D>
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Candy gram...land shark.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options

Back in my days living on the beach in San Diego I ate quite a bit of Mako shark, now my wife who was a Marine Biologist (Now a OR Nurse) informed my of all the dangers of eating shark and the high level of mercury they contain.

Have not had it in about 15 years now.

Dont get me wrong if she is not around and I see some that looks tasty I am diving in.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Still a great cook IMO. Thanks for sharing. This is turning out to be quite an informative thread ( well most are - that's why we're here right? :) )

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • belle's dad
    Options
    I learned a lot from your post.  Shark is available from time to time where I live (east coast of Florida).  I have thought about trying it, but, I think I will pass.  Good looking cook though.  

Vero Beach, FL
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    Cut the tail section into slices like a filet. Bread and fry it. Sharks make OK crab bait or catch and release-afterall they are supposedly overfished judging from the limits imposed by DNR.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE