Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chigger Creek lump and wood

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
My local BGE dealer is selling 20lb bags of Chigger Creek Sweet'n Smoky lump for $19.99.  I've been pretty unhappy with the Publix Greenwise lump lately, so I decided to give Chigger a try.  I did a cook today (rack of pork) that required holding around 350F for a couple hours.  The fire box was still at least half loaded with left over Greenwise from a recent steak cook...so I gave it a vigorous stirring, hollowed out most of the center, and filled it in by hand with Chigger Creek lump.  I lit it with a single waste corn oil soaked paper towel.

First positive indication...this method of lighting used to work fine...but it seems like the last half dozen bags of Greenwise just haven't liked to light, and I usually end up fighting with it, doing multiple lighting attempts, having to setup my lower vent fan, or resorting to fire starters.  The Chigger Creek lump lit right up, no fighting, no help required.  Flavor seems pretty neutral...definitely not mesquite based.

The dealer says all their wood comes from Missouri (from Chigger Creek...I'm just guessing) and I decided to try a few chunks of their apple and cherry for the rack of pork.  I can't say I noticed any flavor from them :(

Based on the way this stuff burned, if there are no major surprises in the rest of the bag, this may be my new usual lump.  For wood, I'll probably go back to cheaper sources...hickory from the grocery store, or fallen oak from the back yard.

Comments