Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder Blade Overcooked

Options
CRM
CRM Posts: 1

My first attempt at slow cooking pork shoulder on the BGE didn't go well.

My wife brought home a 2.5 lb pork shoulder blade instead of the 6-7 lb. pork shoulder that I asked her to buy. I prepared it correctly, applied the dry rub and cooked it at 200-250. At 2.5 lbs, I figured it would cook 4-5 hours. The meat temperature never got to 190 degrees. After 6+ hours the meat temperature was at 178 degrees. I took it off, wrapped the meat in foil, wrapped the foil in a towel and put it in a cooler for about 20 minutes. (I know I should've wrapped it for an hour; by this time I was disgusted and impatience.

The pork was too dry; I ate about 1/3 of the meat, threw out the rest.

My meat thermometer has always been accurate but I guess this time it was not correct. Maybe I should buy a digital gauge. What else could've gone wrong? Is slow cooking a shoulder blade that different from slow cooking regular pork shoulder?

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Lesson 1. Don't send someone to the store to buy meat that isn't sure what they are looking for.
    :)>-

Not sure without actually seeing pics of the meat but guessing it should have been pulled off the grill between 140-150 like it's a pork loin or sirloin roast.  Just a guess however.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    edited January 2013
    Options

It could have been dry because it was under cooked.  I pull my pork shoulders at around 200 internal temp.  Usually very juicy and tender.  

Not sure what a pork shoulder blade is, but i am assuming you were trying to make it into pulled pork.

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Blade roast is the same as the shoulder, I think you pulled it off too early.  IT of 195-205 is the sweet spot for shoulder.  Generally the temp reading @ the dome is about 25 degrees hotter than at grid level, try keep the dome temp around 250-275 and your cook time will be reduced.
    Edina, MN

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Two things I see:

First - putting it in a cooler is not important, it is only to hold till dinner time.

Second & Third: I agree you pulled to soon, but anytime it is tooooo dry, that is what BBQ Sauce was invented for. Chop it up and sauce it, its all good.

CRM we eat our mistakes here (most of them anyway).

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Didn't even think undercooked, but the other guys are probably dead on.  I think I just had sirloin roast on the mind because it was on sale this week.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • tybish
    tybish Posts: 61
    Options
    A little beef broth and sauce. Good as new! :D
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    You pulled it in the dead zone. A little bit higher and it'd been amazing pulled a little but lower and could have been sliced, maybe.

170 or the stall is tough. It's past "done" or safe slicing temps but the meat hasn't broken down and released more juices to make it pull-able. When the collagen breaks down you'll break the stall and it'll be moist again.

The temp doesn't lie! It's done when its done. Time can be a booger.

I imagine a piece of meat that small would be tricky

XLBGE 
  • CRM
    CRM Posts: 1
    Options

Thanks, all, for the sage advice! Never would've figured I'd undercooked it but I'm sure you're right.