Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time poster, Long time egger with stoker wifi questions.

Options

After cooking on a small egg for nearly 9 years, decided it was time to step up my cooking space.  Amazing what I have been able to cook on the little guy but after 4 eggtoberfests and promising myself to bring one home, I took to CL.  Within a week traveled a couple hours away to bring home a LBGE for 550.  Was pleased with mostly new condition.  As fate would have it, found another LBGE 15 miles from my house two days later in great shape for 500 with accessories that put the egg at around 400 if not less.  Too good to pass up so brought it on home as well.  Figured if one is good two is better then three must be best. Having just missed an XL for 825 I wasn't looking back.

Now that I have all the room/flexibility I need, I have to have a controller.  After much research and heart ache went with the stoker.  Price was great and the expansion capabilities are what sold me.  Solid unit that works as it advertises but I have some issues that I wonder is anyone here has experienced. 

The unit seems to get the temp and hold the temp very well within specifications but my fan seems to run alot more that I would have thought it should once it gets there. 

For instance, the weekend cooked baby backs at 275. I always set the hi temp target plus 10 and the low -10.   I know it was cool - high around 53 and breezy, but fan was running every minute or so for  two seconds it seemed like if not longer.  Moved the pit probe around a little but still seemed to be running a while.  The result seems to be cooking everything faster than you would except almost like a convection oven.  Anyone else have this issue or know what I am doing wrong?  I have the daisy wheel on and adjusted to not have any back pressure when the fan is running, ie little rattling of door.

Tried another set and lowered the temp to 255 and still got almost the same result.  Was shooting for 2 hours on smoke, 1 hour wrapped, and whatever they needed after that back on smoke.  However after the wrap they were fall apart done.

Any help would be appreciated.  Be gentle, ha ha.

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, Stoker Wifi, White Thermapen, Igrill---Gilbert SC

Comments

• seanwiley
    Options
    I also have the stoker wifi, though my comment is more general. There are so many variables when cooking that whenever you make a change to your environment, such as size of the smoker, type of charcoal, amount of airspace inside  (i.e. one rack of ribs causes different airflow vs two shoulders on the grate plus ribs on a 2nd rack above) and so on, then you need to expect some ripple effects. 

That is, I'm not sure you have a problem, its just that things are not the same as they were and you'll have to slightly readjust previous assumptions.
  • jgdusc
    jgdusc Posts: 22
    Options

What do you have your daisy wheel set at when smoking? 

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, Stoker Wifi, White Thermapen, Igrill---Gilbert SC