Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Max burn time with an IQ-110

Hoping to pull my first overnighter with two Boston Butts later this week. Description says IQ-110 will keep fire at 225 for 8 hours. Is that it? Is there an alternative? An alternative for less than $300? Or do I trust it and let the Egg do it solo?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I wouldn't worry about the "8 hrs" as your burn time is dependent upon the amount & density of your lump regardless of pit controller. I don't have an IQ-110 but I have a Stoker and it doesn't appear to make change my burn time at all but rather provide a more stable pit temp. Fill it up at least part way up into the fire ring and you'll be good.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    How you like the Stoke?r....really debating on wheter to invest that kind of $ in a Cyber Q or Stoker.......do you find it was worth it?...just curious to hear an owners opinion....thanks
  • I just set my Egg and forget it! Of course I follow my cooks using my Maverick 732, but I can't see paying big bucks for auto temp controllers ... my Egg does just fine!
  • Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    Thanks Chef....I have been debating for a while...seems that they are great for over nights....I'm good with temps that are locked in for a couple of hours....was just curious what the thoughts of others were
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    GQuiz said:
    Hoping to pull my first overnighter with two Boston Butts later this week. Description says IQ-110 will keep fire at 225 for 8 hours. Is that it? Is there an alternative? An alternative for less than $300? Or do I trust it and let the Egg do it solo?
    unless it turns itself off at the 8 hour mark it will go alot longer at that temp if the egg is full of lump
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I just set my Egg and forget it! Of course I follow my cooks using my Maverick 732, but I can't see paying big bucks for auto temp controllers ... my Egg does just fine!

This is what I do. Very easy. Egg is solid.

XLBGE 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

I have a iQue 110.....the duration is not dependant on the machine, it's the charcoal and ash build up.

At 200-225F, I have gone 28 hrs on my Large, and 26 hrs on my XL without adding any lump. The trick is using good lump, having a fire grate that allows the ash to fall through, and using a temp controller if you cannot check it every 30-60 minutes.

A couple other factors play in here though.  Outside air temp, gasket quality, and "viewing."  You will lose more heat (and burn more charcoal) if the OAT is cold.  You will also burn more charcoal if your gasket is fried, and/or you open the lid every 15 minutes to look/poke your meat.

The iQue is a great product, I've been using on for years.  The inventor and his sons have a competition team and have become good friends of mine.

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    If you just want a pit controller, I would check out Auber Instruments auberins.com.  They have one that just controls the pit temp for around $125?

Also, if your handy, you can build your own with a PID controller.  I bought the fan from BBQ guru, and a PID from Auber and made my own.  It was actually a lot of fun.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Thanks CeramicChef... I will order the Maverick and let the Egg do its thing. I needed to plot some strategy so I could order on Amazon and have it before Thursday night's cook.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    GQuiz said:
    Thanks CeramicChef... I will order the Maverick and let the Egg do its thing. I needed to plot some strategy so I could order on Amazon and have it before Thursday night's cook.

Maverick works just fine until you want to leave the house.  I can put 30-40 lbs of meat into my XL, then go to work for 12-14 hrs without worrying about the temperature changing.  It only took ONCE for me to lose $50+ worth of meat for a party because of a flame out.  The next day I ordered a temp contoller, so like Ronco says, I can "Set it, and forget it!!"

Trust me, they're well worth the $140 if you don't want to be tied to your Egg for the duration of the cook.