Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to start the egg?

Being new to the egg world I'm curious as to what is the best way to start up the egg.  Is it best to start it with the top open or closed?  It would seem top open with the bottom vent wide open would allow maximum air but the guy who sold it to me said top town with the top chimney open.

?
Charlotte, nc

Comments

• I just leave it going :D

Top down is how I've done, seems to work just fine
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • Top open

XLBGE 
  • I just leave it going :D

Top OPEN is how I've done, seems to work just fine

Is this what you ment?

XLBGE 
  • Badong
    Badong Posts: 126
    You'll probably find eggers about 50/50 on this issue.  When using an electric starter I leave the lid open until the coals catch and then I close it.  With a conventional, flame starter I shut the lid after lighting it.  I find it easier to monitor and stabilize the egg temps with the lid closed and I overshoot less often this way.
  • We start ours with the starter bricks, egg open for about 5 minutes (until charcoal seems to be glowing) then we close it up with the cover off the top. When i want a quicker start like cooking a pizza on a cold Colorado night i use a air dryer to fuel the coals with forced air at the bottom vent
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    There are about as many ways to start the BGE as there are opinions about lump charcoal.  I'm in the dome open for about 10 mins (if going low&slow), longer if looking for the high temp cooks.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Top DOWN

I see I am not the only one!

Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • I had been doing the oil soaked rolled up paper towel, with the lid closed routine, and that was working well, albeit kind of slow.

Last cook I tried the propane torch to a spot of coals technique, and I think I like it better.  Get a spot glowing, and close the lid and allow it to spread and stabilize.  I made a little well in the coals and put a large piece of coal over the well for the heat to rise to.  Light the bottom of the well with the torch.

--wilsonhp
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    lousubcap said:
    There are about as many ways to start the BGE as there are opinions about lump charcoal.  I'm in the dome open for about 10 mins (if going low&slow), longer if looking for the high temp cooks.  FWIW-
    Exactly - this is not a one size fits all. I've tried lighting at the front, side, rear, on top, in the middle, near the grate - just about everywhere. Find what works for you. 
    Using an electric starter, I light the top, a little to the front. After 8 minutes, remove the starter and open her up, top and bottom, within minutes, the "egg chimney starter" has done its thing. I set the vents for the expected cook, drop in the appropriate setter/grids, pans and whatever is needed and let it go. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I use a MAP torch, light one spot in the center of the lump. Bottom vent is wide open, lid is closed and nothing on top....I think it creates a draft this way and lights quicker than when I leave the lid open. When it reaches temp I close down bottom vent and and stabilize with the adjustable cap but most of my temp controlis done with the bottom vent.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I use heat. I've tried ice cubes, a carrot and a crescent wrench. Nothing works like heat.

Sorry. I use a Wagner heat gun. Start in 2-3 places, let it go for a few, close the dome and at 200 start dialing.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • 91% rubbing alcohol for me. I do four different locations for low and slow, and make an X for high temp cooks. Gets a little hairy in the heat of the summer, but this time of year no worrys.
    LBGE South Dakota
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Mapp gas lid closed
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • BillPinNC said:
    I use a MAP torch, light one spot in the center of the lump. Bottom vent is wide open, lid is closed and nothing on top....I think it creates a draft this way and lights quicker than when I leave the lid open. When it reaches temp I close down bottom vent and and stabilize with the adjustable cap but most of my temp controlis done with the bottom vent.
    100% what I do as well. I tried every other combination of electric, starter cubes, starter chimney (worst) and have gone with exactly what is explained above. I light less area for L&S then for a pizza or spatchcock chicken....
  • Top up electric starter.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Top down. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Top down, better draft that way. Used to use a chimney starter to get coals going but. Since upgraded to the looftligher and I love it.
    Dunedin, FL
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    If you are using fire starters it is best to keep the lid open till they have burned up, five or so minutes should do it. If they aren't consumed by the time you control the airflow they produce nasty smoke. Gerhard
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Rebellab said:

91% rubbing alcohol for me. I do four different locations for low and slow, and make an X for high temp cooks. Gets a little hairy in the heat of the summer, but this time of year no worrys.

Me too. I believe I picked up this method from you.
  • GGGNAT
    GGGNAT Posts: 14
    Light middle with LL and top down until I hit my desired temp.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    the trick is to get some lump started, with a weedburner i light it and drop the dome, enough heat in there and it starts to draw air in thru the lower vent. with the napkin trick i leave it open a little longer to get the lump started then drop the dome. you need some heat in there to get it to draw air like a chimney.

the napkin trick made easy

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143722/napkin-and-oil-trick-was-messy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it