Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear advice needed....quick

Options
Last minute decision to try this. Sorry no time to search. Can I get some temps to start with and where I need to finish up?? Couple of NY strips going on... Thanks!!!

Comments

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    Wow sorry no one answered.  Off the cuff I would say around 600 degrees close to the coals as possible for 30 secs or so each side to get your sear.  Then drop down to 350 and finish to your doneness.

Probably too late but that is how I would do it.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    sorry i just saw this r270ba that is trex.  reverse sear i run 250-300 indirect until about 10 below target temp.  pull plate setter open vents sear until about 5 below target temp usually about 60-90 seconds a side 
  • r270ba
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    sorry i just saw this r270ba that is trex.  reverse sear i run 250-300 indirect until about 10 below target temp.  pull plate setter open vents sear until about 5 below target temp usually about 60-90 seconds a side 
    Damn my bad :))...you are perfectly correct!  Glad I didn't respond sooner.
    Anderson, SC

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I went 400 for a few then went 600+ for about 3 min. Wife was happy.
  • r270ba
    Options
    Lowflyer said:
    Thanks for the input. I went 400 for a few then went 600+ for about 3 min. Wife was happy.
    And you have a winner if the wife is happy!  I did two inch and half thick ribeyes tonight at about 600 for 4 mins a side and I just don't think it gets any better (or easier) than that.  You do get a little gray on the edges but it is quick and good.
    Anderson, SC

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    If SWMBO is happy, you "done" good!
    That's all that counts. 
    Here is a NY strip, took 30 minutes raised indirect at 225, a 5 minute rest then about 60 seconds aside. I pulled this a little late internal already at 130, had to rescue the 4 year old grandson from the flower bed in his electric powered Gator. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Wife is happy?

Winner, winner, steak dinner!
  • CeramicChef
    Options
    Happy wife, happy life! And as we know, that's what counts!
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    Thanks again for the input, The wife was happy.