Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Really need advice for my firstPork Loin(top)

Options
Larrymac
Larrymac Posts: 103
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
Only my 3rd meal on the BGE
First hamburgers, then beer chicken.
Now this pork loin,
It's 5.8 #-- I assume I will keep butchers string on during the cooking?

Suggestions for marinade?
Rub? I have several of the DP rubs.
Getting late tonite so I need to get on it.
Dinner is at 6 tomorrow so when do I need to put it on? BIL says to sear or brown it , take off fire, bring temp down and cook it low. Should I cook at 250?
What internal temp should I shoot for?With this in mind is there a ball park time I can expect or is it totally just internal temp?if i get to the internal temp say 2 hours before dinner, what do I do then?

Any advice, experience recommendations and knowledge of any possible pitfalls is greatly appreciated .

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Here's one I did a while back. Most important thing to remember is to cook to temp, not time. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143729/quick-dinner-tonight-roast-pork#latest
    Options
    That's a great start- thanks.
    Do you think Stacy used the same marinade you did plus the coca cola ?
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    I believe so. Also have seen folks marinade in Dr Pepper.
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Decided on soy sauce, brown sugar, cinnamon, minced onions , sherry, olive oil and garlic powder as marinade. Still haven't figured out how to cook or when to start if I want to serve it at 6 pm but I have all nite to think about it
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    At 375 indirect should take about 1 1/2 hours to reach 145 Internal Temp.  Add another 20 - 30 minutes rest time.
    Options
    Ok are you factoring in that my tenderloin is twice as big as the one in your post
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    Depends if it's twice as big around or twice as big long. Same diameter will take the same amount of time whether it's six inches long or 18 inches long. If it's bigger diameter it will take longer.
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I thought you said loin not tenderloin? I do loin indirect and tenderloin direct. I would only leave the teasing on if needed to maintain shape. Even then I would likely eerie it myself. DP is fine, maybe dust or try red eye. Temps earlier stated are fine. I might take mine off at 140 and rest. I would estimate 2 hours for cook and resting period. I would not want this cut done two hours early and given the short cook time you shouldn't have that issue. I inject my loins but do not inject tenderloins. I would think it would be easier to do a reverse sear. Cook then jack up temp when internals about 130 and sear it last. It's much easier to get egg hot than cool it down for a cook. Good luck, a loin is very lean. It wants to dry out on you. Do not cut it up early either this will dry it further, slice and serve.
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Options
    I learned from Griffin how to slice open the loin and stuff it with cheese, mushrooms, garlic and spinach, then roll it back up and wrap in bacon. Comes out fantastic!
  • Larrymac
    Options
    Does the stuffing make a longer cook time?
    Too late for this loin but maybe next go around
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Options
    Making it a longer cook time is a relative term. I'd suggest it does, but is not noticed while you get to enjoy a couple more beverages!
    Goes by fast, sometimes too fast!