Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Ribs on LBGE?

AlbertaEgger
AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
I am going to try some ribs this weekend on the LBGE, First ribs on egg, I was going to do just low and slow, 225 - 250 till they pull, however I have heard of Turbo, as well as the 3-1-1? Can someone explain the 3-1-1? Is this recomended, i wont need the turbo, as I have the day pretty much open. Thanks for all the good reading again to everyone, have a great weekend.
County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited January 2013

X-X-X refers to the various steps in a rib cook-X hours on the grid followed by X hours in foil followed by X hours out of the foil, on the grid with a sauce applied at the end of the cook.  Some of us run X-0-0 to reduce cook's effort but experiment with the different ways to go and find some that work for you.

Here is a link (scroll down to the pork section) for all you need to know about ribs-enjoy

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Just in case of rain. Turbo Ribs....

350 indirect 1hr 40 min.
    Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs.
    Note: with or w/o mustard works
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• AlbertaEgger
    Pretty sure I wont have to worry about any rain this Sat, or for another few months,.. But great to know. I might just try the turbo anywys. Thanks again.
  • pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93
    Mickey said:

Just in case of rain. Turbo Ribs....

350 indirect 1hr 40 min.
    Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs.
    Note: with or w/o mustard works
    This is the first I've seen someone recommending pulling the membrane on ribs that have started cooking (not that I've read every recipe, but I've read a few).  Is it harder to work with ribs that are hot?  (or is it easier).  Is there a reason flavor or texture wise to do it this way? 
  • AlbertaEgger
    Not to speak for you Mickey, but I think you may have read that wrong pwg56, "350 indirect 1hr 40 min..." was just an over view. Below that was just stating to remove membrane, rub, cook. I remove this everytime.
  • pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93
    Not to speak for you Mickey, but I think you may have read that wrong pwg56, "350 indirect 1hr 40 min..." was just an over view. Below that was just stating to remove membrane, rub, cook. I remove this everytime.
    Thanks. Feel a bit dumb for mis-reading that.
    8-|
  • Mickey
    What AlbertaEgger said. Otherwise you would burn your fingers.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey

OH HELL...... Could pwg56 be VI.... Your back????????????????????? Gary is this you.......

I am slower than most, but.......................

• AlbertaEgger
    Im going to attempt the 3-1-1 with some memohis style rub, as well as the sauce, Question is, 225 Dome Temp for the entire cook... or higher.
  • lousubcap
    @Albertaegger-cold in them there hills...but to your ? about 225*F (or the Canadian equivalent in C) realize that when cooking indirect (platesetter or some other device between food and burning lump) the dome temp will initially be around 20-40*F hotter than the cooking grid-longer the dome is shut the closer the temps but...225*F on the dome puts the cooking grid at around 200*F to cook-it will take forever and then some to get finished-I have found that around 250*F on the dome to be the "low-end sweet spot" where the BGE naturally tends to settle in for low&slows. BGE does not tell you about this offset so my first low&slow on the thing took foreever-didn't know about the delta T.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • AlbertaEgger
    Thanks, lousubcap, actually nice out today 0 deg C here (live 30 min from Edmonton AB), so lawn chairs and beer are out. I will keep it at 250, thank you. JUST fired up the Egg....image
  • lousubcap

Well-the upside of the refreshing air is that those adult superviosry beverages don't warm up in the course of consumption-no matter your pace.  Enjoy the cook and the end-results!

• AlbertaEgger
    Correct, and they don't freeze either. Not that I would ever let them sit for that long anyways. Thanks. Pics to follow.
  • AlbertaEgger
    imageimage
  • AlbertaEgger
    Temp has stabilized for a good 30 min, going for a walk with my beer, dog, and misses (due next week), see you in a short while Forum.
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    I would advise against walking the misses. She will never forgive if her water breaks and you tell her that it will have to wait till the ribs are done.
  • AlbertaEgger
    Good point, I actually never thought of that.....Might have to have a home delivery?
  • lousubcap
    Given your talents you probably know this but-the rib finish tests-if cooking a full rack, then the bend test works-pick up one end with a set of tongs and if the rack bends about 90* and begins to crack=finished.  For half racks (or McDonalds' boneless ribs) then use the toothpick test-toothpick goes in and out of the meateist part of the rib with no resistance=done.  When am I getting close-look for the meat pulling back from the bones.  Looking great!
  • AlbertaEgger
    I am now more worried about keeping the wife still till the ribs are done, however, yes, good to know, i usually just cook till they start to pull easy. Looks like she wins, for a walk we go.
  • Pcody5
    Pcody5 Posts: 24
    I am doing St. Louis ribs right now and realized I forgot to pull the membrane. Any issues with cooking time related to this gaff?
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    I think the time will probably be the same. My father in law never pulls the membrane on ribs. I think it makes them a little more chewy is all. That membrane seems to make the meat all stick to the bone there.
  • Pcody5
    Pcody5 Posts: 24
    Thanks. Guess ill find out in a few hours. Really messed up my first try at ribs so this can't turn out any worse.
  • AlbertaEgger
    3-1-1, turned out great, corn turned out better then i expected, I always foil and bbq, however, I ran out of foil with the ribs and spuds, so I soaked the corn, placed some butter and seasoning under the husk, and they were a hit. I used the same home made bbq sauce when i foiled the ribs, poured about 1/4 to 1/2 a cup before wrapping. Not the best rub and sauce I have made but it was still good. I have been asked to go back to a cherry "cola" sauce next time. The last pic i have posted here was just me dreaming about this summer again, where I can have my own fresh veggies on my Egg!....Cant wait!
  • AlbertaEgger
    imageimageimageimage
  • lousubcap
    Great cook-congrats!
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Great Cook!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • dshane
    dshane Posts: 6
    Legs up or down?