Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Everything is Bigger in Texas...

Except this steak!

I don't know what I was thinking. I'm normally a pretty smart guy, 'specially if I've had a few drinks in me (obviously, I hadn't had any). I knew Mrs. G was heading out of town yesterday, so picked up a little steak for me last night while I was at the store getting shrimp Wednesday. I figured a small steak would be fine for me since I'm "unofficially" doing this weight loss thing. Plus I didn't want to go into a meat coma. I just wanted the flavor of some steak. So I picked this guy up that weighed in at a whooping 0.26lbs!! Fired up the Mini to 800F, I actually had to bring it down because it was past the 800F mark and I had no idea how hot it was.

My plan was to go 1 minute per side. You know...30 seconds, rotate 90 degrees, 30 more seconds, flip, 30 seconds, rotate 90 degrees, 30 seconds and pull. Probably should have pulled it earlier, but it just wasn't getting that seared, carmelization like coloring.

I don't know if there is anyway that you could cook a steak this thin and get it to brown on the outside and still come out medium rare. I probably shouldn't have bought a steak so small. The good news is that even though it wasn't pink at all, it came out fork tender. I didn't even need a knife to cut it. And I got my craving for steak out of the way without feeling weighted down with a full belly of beef, ready to hibernate or go into a meat coma. Little salad on the side and some corn on the cob and I was good to go.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

As always, looks great Griffin.

Now that is a thread title @VI is guaranteed to look at.....

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    PS- what did you do with the coke?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    @Chubbs - mix it with bourbon of course!! The coke and DP bottle were there just as a reference for size and how small that steak was.

Rowlett, Texas

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    That is definitely a cute little feller. Looks really good.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Chubbs
    Griffin said:
    @Chubbs - mix it with bourbon of course!! The coke and DP bottle were there just as a reference for size and how small that steak was.

10:4. Was thinking you mixed with rub or something. Always look forward to your posts because of the great pics and plating...
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Looks good! Making me miss my egg.
  • Griffin

Thanks @Chubbs. This was just a simple steak with some DP Cow Lick. Nothing fancy.

@Dyal_SC - how's that big hole in the ground? Still there I assume. How was the dam tour?

Rowlett, Texas

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    On occasion I buy some very thin steaks and it takes about a minute a side and they're done. No medium rare or medium with these but they are good anyway for a smaller meal. It's my answer for made at home fast food.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    The big hole was awesome! The dam tour wasn't too shabby either. In the airport now. Gonna be a long day of traveling, but ready to get back home.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Looks like a tasty steaklet. Must be from those smaller cows that wander into Texas by mistake :P

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    That steak was cut for fajitas....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Good for you for eating what is considered a healthy sized portion of beef. Nice meal.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited January 2013

weighed in at a whooping 0.27lbs

see how much that little differance can make on a Mini.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mickey, looks like the bone alone weighs 0.27 lb.
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    call me please 254.289.1877
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Mickey said:

I am so prank calling you this weekend
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Chubbs said:

Mickey said:

Leave @Mickey alone...he might leave.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Chubbs said:

Mickey said:

Careful...he's connected! [-X

Mick posted his number on the board a few times and the last two that prank called him were no longer members and their eggs ended up missing. Tread lightly! b-(
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Griffin Since your famous now, I hope every thing bigger in Texas doesn't include your head. =))
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Griffin
    Griffin......How do you get your mini so hot?  What kind of lump do you use?  How do you start your fire?  I recently got a hi-Q grate but I still don't seem to get it that hot.
    not sure if there was some royal oak still in there, but topped it off with Ozark oak, made a lttle depression and set in a rolled up paper towel that had been soaked in canola oil. lit it on fire and bridged it with  few more pieces of lump and just let it go. had it steady at 800 with no top and bottom vent somewhere between 1/2 way and 1/4  open. seems like my mini just likes to run hot. i have a problem keeping it under 400.

Rowlett, Texas

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Doing a burn clean right now before putting on my Rutland, the mini blasted past the max on the thermo.. funny I still get nervous about that.
    Seattle, WA
  • REMtx
    REMtx Posts: 63
    I did a cook a couple of weeks ago where I was primarily cooking drumsticks and sausage raised direct.  Had some family from Mexico drop by and they brought some "NY strips" from Mexico (they were like a giftbox given to them from their workplace or something like that).  The box actually said NY Strip on it and had a cartoon of the steaks that were inside.  Well, these things looked similar to ribeyes than strips, and were really thin; laugh. I tossed them on there, but didnt have a grid at normal level so I just did them raised direct. It took a bit to get them a nice color, and they were well done at that point, no pink inside, which most of my family members eat their steak at anyways.  They were flavorful and moist/tender though.  I just keep laughing at that box.
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    REMtx said:
    I did a cook a couple of weeks ago where I was primarily cooking drumsticks and sausage raised direct.  Had some family from Mexico drop by and they brought some "NY strips" from Mexico (they were like a giftbox given to them from their workplace or something like that).  The box actually said NY Strip on it and had a cartoon of the steaks that were inside.  Well, these things looked similar to ribeyes than strips, and were really thin; laugh. I tossed them on there, but didnt have a grid at normal level so I just did them raised direct. It took a bit to get them a nice color, and they were well done at that point, no pink inside, which most of my family members eat their steak at anyways.  They were flavorful and moist/tender though.  I just keep laughing at that box.
    No pictures of the box?