Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Spatchcock

Tried my first Spatchcock chicken tonight. Family LOVED it. Sometimes, you just need to get it simple. Rubbed down. image
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!

Comments

• Opps. Hit post discussion by mistake. First on. image Almost done. image Ready to cut. image Too easy! image
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Looks fantastic
    =D>
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Nice job!
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I'll take a hind quarter. Please!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nice job...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Nice job. But you need to raise that up. One phone call away from lump and not chicken. I would never have tried it, glad to see it can be done low.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I need to do one..... Soon...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ahhhh....brings a tear to me eye when one posts his (or her) opus magnum....
    Mickey said:

Nice job. But you need to raise that up. One phone call away from lump and not chicken.
    I would never have tried it, glad to see it can be done low.

Yep. Got to get that bird higher in the dome. Done them every way imaginable. Higher in the dome takes the prize. Yours looks good though!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Gorgeous!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Looks terrific, Que_n_Brew! Nice job!!
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    What kind of rub did you use? Looks like you burried the bird in it...but I like it that way.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Looks great. How was that TX BBQ Rub? I have some of that at home but havent tried it yet. Is that the basic BBQ Rub?
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Plano_JJ said:
    Looks great. How was that TX BBQ Rub? I have some of that at home but havent tried it yet. Is that the basic BBQ Rub?
    ALL of the texasbbqrubs are outstanding.  
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    A tad too much on the skin for me, but still looks wonderful. 

I usually do raised when doing direct. Great cook. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • rholt said:
    What kind of rub did you use? Looks like you burried the bird in it...but I like it that way.

Plano_JJ said:

The rub is "Texas Chicken Scratch" made by "Redneck Cooker". It's awesome! To those who posted about raising the grid, I couldn't agree more. I took care of that today with some fire stones. :D
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If I can take the time to say,

who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    NATION!!!

Steve Spagnuolo fired....didn't see that coming....

• If I can take the time to say,

who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    NATION!!!

I was pretty shocked myself.. AND that we are moving to a 3-4! A Saints forum I frequent has been calling for the 3-4 since the Dome Patrol was dismantled it seems.. Interesting times ahead for sure.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • And nice looking bird Que! I still need to attempt one..
    LBGE
  • Sean will be back with a vengeance. Who Dat and Geaux Tigers. When is the TCU game?
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA

who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    NATION!!!

I was pretty shocked myself.. AND that we are moving to a 3-4! A Saints forum I frequent has been calling for the 3-4 since the Dome Patrol was dismantled it seems.. Interesting times ahead for sure.

Saintsreport has been going crazy with 3-4 talk. Have been waiting for this for a while.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    edited January 2013
    If I can take the time to say,

who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    NATION!!!

Saintsreport has been going crazy with 3-4 talk. Have been waiting for this for a while.
    That would be the forum I was referencing.. LOL.

The nice part is that it seems like our personnel actually fits pretty well.
    LBGE
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Mickey said:
    Nice job. But you need to raise that up. One phone call away from lump and not chicken. I would never have tried it, glad to see it can be done low.
    I messed up once and did a spatchcock chicken low direct like in these photos and it turned out fine, except the wings got way too well done. I still go with a raised grill as long as I have my thinking hat on to keep the wings OK. This one looks really right on though.
    LBGE

who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    who dat
    NATION!!!

That would be the forum I was referencing.. LOL.

The nice part is that it seems like our personnel actually fits pretty well.

Vilma will be gone if they do in fact go to a 3-4. We got him from the Jets after they went from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Vilma went from the defensive rookie of the year to nonexistent.