Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers on Saturday night.(pics)

rholt
rholt Posts: 392
edited January 2013 in Beef
So I did burgers tonight. Started out using 80/20 ground chuck, the big package from SAMS. Seasoned the unformed beef with Joe Allen's steak seasoning (from a local bbq joint in west Texas). Then I formed them into about an inch to inch and a half thick patties. Topped them off with McCormick Montreal steak seasoning. Fired up the egg to 400 raised direct with mesquite chips added.

Once I put all 21 patties on the XL the temp dropped to 300 and stayed there the whole cook. Not too sure why.

Anywho, after cooking for about 15 mins they were flipped. And cooked for another 15 minutes. The thermapen read anywhere between 155 to 165 in various patties.

Ultimately it was a success except for several patties coming out a little dry. I will also try and make the patties thinner too. Wondering If 165 was too high of a finish temp. And critiques welcome.

Comments

• Nice looking burgers there! Congrats on the cook!
  • tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93
    Thin with a big diameter is best way to form patties.  They always plump up during cook so making them thinner and wider is best way to make sure it properly fills a bun, and you won't have to leave them on forever to get them fully cooked.
    - EAT BEEF -
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited January 2013

Hey Rholt! First I should say that I've never cooked 21 burgers at once (or on a XL) so I can't offer much help on how that dropped your temp.

Your burgers look great, nice and pink inside! I wonder why they were so dry? The size of your burgers look fine to me -- that looks about like the size I cook:

Bacon & Gruyère Burgers

I cook mine a little higher, tho -- usually direct at ~550-600F (& not raised).

I sear on one side for a couple of minutes, flip for another couple of minutes. And then I add my bacon & cheese and close everything up to dwell for 10 minutes +/-. Once, I let them dwell as long as 20 minutes (my beans weren't ready yet). They weren't pink inside but they were still super smokey and juicy.

So, I wonder if you just cooked them too long at 300? Maybe try a higher heat, sear, and dwell next time? Hopefully some of the others will chime in with something helpful.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • rholt

Hey Rholt! First I should say that I've never cooked 21 burgers at once (or on a XL) so I can't offer much help on how that dropped your temp.

Your burgers look great, nice and pink inside! I wonder why they were so dry? The size of your burgers look fine to me -- that looks about like the size I cook:

Bacon & Gruyère Burgers

I cook mine a little higher, tho -- usually direct at ~550-600F (& not raised).

I sear on one side for a couple of minutes, flip for another couple of minutes. And then I add my bacon & cheese and close everything up to dwell for 10 minutes +/-.

Once, I let them dwell as long as 20 minutes (my beans weren't ready yet). They weren't pink inside but they were still super smokey and juicy.

So, I wonder if you just cooked them too long at 300? Maybe try a higher heat, sear, and dwell next time?

Hopefully some of the others will chime in with something helpful.

Thanks kristie. I will try a different set up and post back. They were good, don't get me wrong, but I want stellar.

• Agree with Kristie.  80/20 mixture is perfect and should get you great juicy burgers everytime.  I also do mine direct and higher temp, but beware of the amount of smoke when you open the dome and spend a few minutes flipping 21 burgers! 

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Agree with Kristie.  80/20 mixture is perfect and should get you great juicy burgers everytime.  I also do mine direct and higher temp, but beware of the amount of smoke when you open the dome and spend a few minutes flipping 21 burgers! 
    Yeah, I would certainly do raised direct for 21 burgers... or you may not have arm hair with the combination of amount of grease and open dome for the length of time it takes to flip... The temp drop was due to the large amount of cold meat in the hot egg, but it should have risen after a little time. Only thing I can think of on meat being dry is if you overworked it. I try to handle the meat as little as possible whe making the patties.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • rholt
    I definitely tried to not over work it. I avoid the infamous "patty squish". I am going to have leftovers today for lunch so I will see how the re-heated ones are.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Good advice given on the higher temp.  I always shoot for 550 and raised direct.  Keep at it and you will find what works for you.
  • I add some moisture to the patties when I make them in the form of Worcestershire or steak sauce. I mix all ingredients I am putting in the burgers (including seasonings) then form the patties leaving them a tad moist. I use a press to form then straight to grill. Been doing it this way for 25 years and never once got a dried out tasteless lump of meat or a complaint.