Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Half Moon Cast Iron Griddle

Options
I just purchased the CI half moon griddle, mainly to pan fry or saute fish/scallops since I have had only fair results with seafood on the Egg so far.  My question is should I "season" the griddle prior to its first use?  If so, how?

Any good seafood seasons/rubs y'all have had good success with?

Also, what other things could one cook on the CI griddle?  I saw veggies, sandwiches, bacon & pancakes...any other thoughts?
Atlanta suburbs
Large & Mini owner
UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

I have been thinking about getting one of these for bacon, etc on the egg, but not too sure. To be safe, I would just season like anything else CI. Can't hurt and not hard to do.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2013
    Options

Many ways to season.  Most readily available in your kitchen would be Pam (canola oil) or Crisco.  For myself, it is Grapeseed oil for the first several coats, then upkeep is done with Pam or Grapeseed.  Less is more.  Wipe a small amount on the entire piece.  Then take a clean towel and wipe it off.  You will have enough oil on the piece to season.  500 degrees in your oven or egg for one hour.  Cool and repeat as needed.

Possibilities are endless with a griddle.  I use an old Griswold round griddle as a grid for almost all direct cooks. 

A flat, thin, griddle spatula is a useful tool for flipping and cleaning.

Best tips I can give...go easy with the temp.  Even for searing, I go raised direct to felt line, 500-600(dome) range.  Key is a good preheat, lika a pizza stone.  Rest of cooks are around 300.  Warped my old griddle from getting it too hot and it was impossible to keep seasoned at >600 temps.  

If you do cook at higher temps for searing and sauteing, make some ghee(clarified butter).  Super easy and higher smoke point. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• BuckeyeBob
    Options
    Crispix, I got mine about a year ago and never seasoned it. Had no issues whatsoever. You will love it for shrimp and scallops. I also will put it on when I am cooking steaks and will sauté mushrooms at the same time. Works great.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    Got one from the mother ship two weeks ago. I asked the manager the same question and he said no, just to spray with Pam or something similar prior to cooking with it. I haven't used mine yet so I don't know how well that works.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    Thanks for the advice fellas.  I used the CI griddle tonight.  Ended up spraying some Pam on it before going on the Egg.  Let the griddle "soak" for about 25 minutes at around 425* to get nice and hot.  Then added a few dollops of butter (I know, not the healthiest) to pan fry some mahi filets that I dusted with DP Tsunami Spin.  Cooked for about 10 minutes til it started flaking. Turned out great!   I am looking forward to making more seafood on the griddle.

Forgot to take pics...but it really did happen, I promise!
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!