Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about small

Options
So I made a post in Dec about finding a local new small for sale for $350 and letting my buddy buy it instead of me. Just picked it up today bc he is coming Sat to get it. I have few questions about it: 1) the daisy wheel seems to be stuck on. This egg has never been cooked it. Is that normal? There is also not a ceramic cap with it. 2) the bottom vent is on the left side of the egg if you are facing the front where handle is. On my large and the ones I've seen in stores the vent and handle align. Is that normal/ok or was it put together wrong?
Boom

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The bands were probably just tightened in the wrong position.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Ok I figured switching that would be those steps. I assume leaving as is no big deal. But what about top? I can't remove that daisy wheel. It's on there tight. The whole egg starts to come up when I pull on it. Normal?
    Boom
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Options
    Give the daisy wheel a firm twist and it should pop off.

The weight of the small isn't great enough to let it come off when picked up at all times.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    If you are still having problems getting the top off, try a 450F burn and the metal might eggspand enough to loosen it.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    DFMTs on Smalls are notorious for being a tight fit on the lid.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Ok so I put a bit more effort into it and got it off. Certainly was tight. But he got shafted and didn't get a ceramic top. But for $350 for new small w/ nest still a solid deal. I'll let him decide if he wants to take off lid and move 90 degrees so matches up with bottom.
    Boom