Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Boston Butt Question!

Options
Boss man asked me to do a few Boston Butts to feed folks at a kayak fishing seminar on Saturday. I have cooked plenty of boston butts on the egg before but Ive never done two at a time. I cook at 250 for about 2 hours a pound normally. I have two bone in butts at around 7.5lbs each and need a little help for the time. Should I allow more time and cook for a total of 15lbs or will they cook individually in the same or close to time?

Thanks guys!

Clay White
Pensacola, FL

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I just did 2 butts this weekend put them on at 10:00pm at 260 dome indirect at 8:00 am the temp read 250 and internal butt temp was 200. They were perfect. The were about 7.5lbs each. Us Whites need to stick together...lol

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    They will cook individually same as if cooking only one but monitor temp on both, as every hunk of meat is different. Even equal size, one may finish long before the other.
    Options
    Thanks guys I appreciate it! I never cook with time restraints so I'll usually just have cocktails till the foods done! This one i gotta have done in a window.

JRWhitee, You aint kiddin! Fine bill fish you got there also!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    My daughter caught that one on her first deep sea fishing trip with me in Cabo. She's hooked....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • calracefan
    Options
    start early , then if they finish early which hopefully not too early, wrap in foil and through in a cooler.They will stay warm for quite a while this way.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You could also try to turbo them.....

It works for me, though I would understand discomfort with a new technique for a "high-level" cook. Perhaps try it for just you first.
  • Max232
    Max232 Posts: 76
    Options
    Is this the GCKFA kayak rigging clinic in gulf breeze?

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq

• ClayWhite88
    Options
    Max232 said:
    Is this the GCKFA kayak rigging clinic in gulf breeze?
    Max232 Yes it is. At Hot Spots! Just put them on and shooting for around 8am!

I have done the turbo method on ribs and they turned out FANTASTIC but a little sketched out trying something new on something like this!
  • Max232
    Max232 Posts: 76
    Options
    My son is going to that clinic, I have 6 butts to cook tonight for a MMA event in Pcola tomorrow night. Good luck with your cook, I'm sure they will turn out great.

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq