Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini green egg prices (please help)

I have the opportunity to buy a mini egg, and the guy wants 250 for this. Do yall think this is a good price? I really would like to get it for 200 but not sure if 250 is a good deal or not.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

I dont see a pic on my end. You must be buying used??

New, a mini is $410 in Columbia, SC. I would just pony up another $150 and buy new if the $250 is used. If new, then just all over that!

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You can get a New (demo) at most Egg Fests for about $400 with stand. Call and ask. New/Demo you get the warranty.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• FWIW, I recently bought a previously owned, never used mini with nest for $225.  I think $250 is a little pricey.
    Flint, Michigan
  • chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    This is a used 2 year old mini. That the guy wants 250. I thought that it was alittle pricey. Anyone else have an opinion?
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131

i bought one new with a stand and ash tool for 400 dec. 20th 2012. As with the other sized eggs, if it's not cracked and in good shape i think it's a deal. most mini's get transported around more than the big guys, which exposes them to greater risks of breaking.

I would certainly try to get him down to 200 as you will want to get the mini woo and pizza stones to use as heat deflectors immediately. BTW does it come with any extras? ash tool, high que, cast iron grate, woo, stones?

The other way to think about it is that has the egg really depreciated by half in 2 years? They seem to last a lifetime and i would think 200 would be a pretty good deal when looking at it that way.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Paid 400 , maybe I'd bite at that. Its OK depends on condittion and would have to be newest model available.
    Seattle, WA
  • What is the difference between an old Egg and a new one?
    The price.  It is not a watch or a car and they last a life time.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    400 for a mini is outrageous. i just had to say that
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • chad408
    you sound like you have experience with the mini. how much can you cook on it? How fast does it heat up. What other size eggs do you have.
    mwraulst said:

i bought one new with a stand and ash tool for 400 dec. 20th 2012. As with the other sized eggs, if it's not cracked and in good shape i think it's a deal. most mini's get transported around more than the big guys, which exposes them to greater risks of breaking.

I would certainly try to get him down to 200 as you will want to get the mini woo and pizza stones to use as heat deflectors immediately. BTW does it come with any extras? ash tool, high que, cast iron grate, woo, stones?

The other way to think about it is that has the egg really depreciated by half in 2 years? They seem to last a lifetime and i would think 200 would be a pretty good deal when looking at it that way.

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I would pony up the extra cash, too, particularly if the mini is more than 8 months old. At that time BGE changed some features (better handle, sturdier hinges) that I consider desirable.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • chad408
    So you think it worth another 150.00 for the new mini. It is just hard for me to spend that kind of cash on a grill that is so small.
    jlsm said:
    I would pony up the extra cash, too, particularly if the mini is more than 8 months old. At that time BGE changed some features (better handle, sturdier hinges) that I consider desirable.  

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    chad408 said:
    So you think it worth another 150.00 for the new mini. It is just hard for me to spend that kind of cash on a grill that is so small.
    jlsm said:

I am guess you don't ever order the Filet at a steakhouse do you?   ;)
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131

It heats up real fast, actually the only issue i can think of with the mini is sometimes it runs too hot. I have a medium and a mini and i purchased my parents a mini this year for christmas. It's the perfect egg for 2 people and a perfect second egg. Although most would agree any second egg is a perfect egg. I think it takes about 15-20 min to come to a grilling temp of 325-350, that includes stablizing it and dialing in the temp on my medium. I start mine with a map gas blow torch.

The mini takes about 10min or less to get to the same temp using the torch.

As far as space, it's the perfect 2 person grill, especially if you prepare most of the side dishes inside and are looking for something to do for the protein. It will hold aprox 5 filet mignon 8oz, 2 huge chicken breasts, a whole chicken standing vertical (takes a little work and removing thermo), easily handles 2 ny strips or 1 huge porterhouse/ribeye. i have done a small 4lb butt/shoulder on it. The mini pizzas are incredible. We've done small loaves of bread. i've seen pics of half rack of ribs.

I believe they also make a wok that fits down in it. I have one for my medium, only reason i haven't explored one for mini. I would eventually love an xl to do volume, but the mini gets used on a daily basis and i know an xl would not for my family. To be honest i think my oven was around 500 bucks and i haven't turned it on since i purchased the mini unless it's to keep whatever is coming off the egg warm. Now that i think about it, i should probably just sell my oven and get another egg.

Here's the deal though, just like with the other eggs you have to have some way of indirect cooking. Order the stones via amazon 2 for $26 bucks and get the mini woo. I wrap one stone in foil to keep the drippings off and use the other for pizzas.

I don't know that i would recommend ponying up the extra cash and here's why. The mini was meant to be transported. If you've found one thats 2 years old and shows no sign of cracks or abuse, it, in theory, should be just as strong as a new one. If you buy the used one and break it you are really in the same position as breaking the new one. The warranty on a new one won't cover your mistakes, it covers their mistakes. If this thing has been cooked on for 2 years, i would think your chances are pretty good it's not a factory defect. BGE tends to make quality products and although it happens it seems rare when the eggs self destruct on their own.

• chad408
    No, i never order a filet at a steakhouse cause i can cook a steak better than most steakhouses. Just want to know if you 250.00 is a good price. No point in throwing money away, but if you would like to write me a check for $400.00 you can since you have so much money.

Eggcelsior said:
    chad408 said:
    jlsm said:

I am guess you don't ever order the Filet at a steakhouse do you?   ;)

:D
  • chad408
    Thanks for the info I think i might pull the trigger and get it. Might try and talk him down to 225.00.

mwraulst said:

It heats up real fast, actually the only issue i can think of with the mini is sometimes it runs too hot. I have a medium and a mini and i purchased my parents a mini this year for christmas. It's the perfect egg for 2 people and a perfect second egg. Although most would agree any second egg is a perfect egg. I think it takes about 15-20 min to come to a grilling temp of 325-350, that includes stablizing it and dialing in the temp on my medium. I start mine with a map gas blow torch.

The mini takes about 10min or less to get to the same temp using the torch.

As far as space, it's the perfect 2 person grill, especially if you prepare most of the side dishes inside and are looking for something to do for the protein. It will hold aprox 5 filet mignon 8oz, 2 huge chicken breasts, a whole chicken standing vertical (takes a little work and removing thermo), easily handles 2 ny strips or 1 huge porterhouse/ribeye. i have done a small 4lb butt/shoulder on it. The mini pizzas are incredible. We've done small loaves of bread. i've seen pics of half rack of ribs.

I believe they also make a wok that fits down in it. I have one for my medium, only reason i haven't explored one for mini. I would eventually love an xl to do volume, but the mini gets used on a daily basis and i know an xl would not for my family. To be honest i think my oven was around 500 bucks and i haven't turned it on since i purchased the mini unless it's to keep whatever is coming off the egg warm. Now that i think about it, i should probably just sell my oven and get another egg.

Here's the deal though, just like with the other eggs you have to have some way of indirect cooking. Order the stones via amazon 2 for $26 bucks and get the mini woo. I wrap one stone in foil to keep the drippings off and use the other for pizzas.

I don't know that i would recommend ponying up the extra cash and here's why. The mini was meant to be transported. If you've found one thats 2 years old and shows no sign of cracks or abuse, it, in theory, should be just as strong as a new one. If you buy the used one and break it you are really in the same position as breaking the new one. The warranty on a new one won't cover your mistakes, it covers their mistakes. If this thing has been cooked on for 2 years, i would think your chances are pretty good it's not a factory defect. BGE tends to make quality products and although it happens it seems rare when the eggs self destruct on their own.

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Whats the warranty situation? Usually if you buy used there is no warranty
    Buy new and you are covered.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I dropped $325 on a mini w/o a stand but didn't find it anywhere else for less than $375.  I think that's when I knew I had a sickness, because like and earlier poster said, it is pretty crazy to drop that kinda cash on a 10" grill.  But, I love it, use it all the time, and plan on getting a second down the road.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • chad408
    yea there will be no warranty but like mwraulst said if it has worked for 2 years there is no factory deficts.
    Whats the warranty situation? Usually if you buy used there is no warranty
    Buy new and you are covered.

• chad408
    Is that the only egg you have the mini?
    thetrim said:
    I dropped $325 on a mini w/o a stand but didn't find it anywhere else for less than $375.  I think that's when I knew I had a sickness, because like and earlier poster said, it is pretty crazy to drop that kinda cash on a 10" grill.  But, I love it, use it all the time, and plan on getting a second down the road.

• Mickey

Just posted the price for 2013 Salado EggFest Mini Demo with Nest: $399.00 (and warranty).

Note that some fests may be more and some less.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

500 Posts: 3,177
    Don't mean to hijack, but I have a similar lead, but for a used Large, with a nest and plate setter for $500.  says it's only been used 10 times.  Would love having a second Large.  Would be reason enough to sell the gasser.  Thoughts?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • chad408
    I would do it a large for 500 that is a killer price.
  • Mickey
    I am with Chad408, very good price (IMO) if in real good shape. Is it with the new handle and gasket?

• Eggcelsior
    500 said:
    Don't mean to hijack, but I have a similar lead, but for a used Large, with a nest and plate setter for $500.  says it's only been used 10 times.  Would love having a second Large.  Would be reason enough to sell the gasser.  Thoughts?
    If you are selling the gasser to afford the egg, yes. It all depends on your situation. For me, if I want a hamburger, I usually grill it. If I don't have the time but I still want the burger, I will fry it in the traditional method of cooking a burger. Some may chose to grill it on the gasser instead. If I am grilling, I will always egg it. Otherwise, I will just do a different cooking method.
  • thetrim
    chad408 said:
    Is that the only egg you have the mini?
    thetrim said:

@chad408 No.  I got an XL 6.5 years ago, added the Mini about a year ago to do the same weekday family cooks.  It was a great purchase.  Love it.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Here's a Mini in the Tampa Bay area for $200.  Look at how old this looks.  I'd buy it and add it to my BGE Museum.  The only prob is that you cant fit a Mangrate on it...

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/for/3532414889.html

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2013
    It came to $440 then add woo, stones. A lot sure but in last 6 months I've used it at least 30 times. On something that should last forever or have good resale what's the cost per cook going to be 5 - 10Years down the line.
    I'm wise with $ and don't regret this one a bit. Did I mention I use a terracotta pot smoker for big cooks... that's cheap.
    Mini us my only egg.
    Seattle, WA
  • Over the holidays I picked up a new mini with stand for $250... Warranty and all. think I got a great buy. The dealer indicated he's had it on the shelf for a while and BGE will make them have one on the floor so they will have to replace when the season begins again in the Midwest. Elmer Fudd
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini
  • Eggcelsior
    Holy Mangrates! You think you got a "good deal"? I think you got the deal of the year. Despite the fact it's only 2 weeks old.
  • chad408
    Still having mixed emotions about the mini. I am going to try and go look at it today and worst case, I hope to spend 225. I would have already had it if he would have gone to 200 but he is holding at 250. Please someone sell me on the mini. I have money from christmas and was going to buy a new gun. Now i see the mini and a party q in my future what does everyone think?