Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket replacement question (sort of)

Options
Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When you folks replace your gaskets, I assume that you take the dome (and thus the bands) completely off.[p]My question is how does that work with the bolts being bent and all? I mean, if I take my egg completely apart (the bolt and band assembly and all of that), aren't I likely to have trouble getting it back together, or do you just buy another set of bolts to have at the ready? [p]I ask because I've fried the large (again) and the small gaskets recently, and I want to go ahead and replace both of them, and possibly this weekedn. [p]Also, I'm in Atlanta. Can a I get a rutland or cotronics gasket locally, or do I have to mail order?[p]thanks.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    when i replace mine, i don't remove the dome or bands, it opens far enough to work on. .. ..

• Mark Backer
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]And do you just use the BGE felt ones?

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    yep, its all i've used. . .first, i run the egg up to 700+ for about 45 minutes or so, really melt the old crap off... open the lid (carefully). .use the ash tool to scrape off as much of the old gasket as possible (wear a long sleeve shirt and glove for this one)....then shut down the egg. .. . to avoid the lid sticking shut i place the ash rake between the lid and base to create just enough gap that the egg will shut down in a reasonable amount of time but not seal up the egg. ..once its all cooled down, i try and scrape as much of the remaining old gasket off as i can with a small wire paint scraping brush. .. then apply the new felt, leave the egg close over night to let it seal good, and waallaa, done. .. . without removing dome or bands... .

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    i can get the rutland locally at a shop that sells coal stoves, but im betting theres not a lot of those in atlanta. if your burning alot of gaskets, i would take the band off, clean the old gasket off, and set the dome on the lower section. mine was fairly wavey and needed some sanding to get the dome flush with the lower section. then put the new gasket on and replace the hinge. i used the old bolts

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Mark Backer, I took mine all apart. I used a hack saw and cut the bolts of. Even if you tried to un screw them they would break off anyway. Lowes carries a fine seclection of SS bolts and nuts to replace them. I found this easier even htough it took more time. I did replace with the same felt gasket. I did the over 3-4 days. I also did a high temp cleaning the day before, since the gasket was shot. This way I could lay the top down and have a good flat and easy work finish to use. I also used a belt sander to get down to the white stuff on the rims.

• Mark Backer
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Now that sounds like a plan I can live with. Me thinks i shall try it, and soon...
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I have had my large and small apart a number of times (for various reasons). Still using the original bolts and nuts (plus lock nuts). Does not seem to hurt the bolts being bent and reused.[p]If you take the top off and lay it upside down in the bottom, it make a great way to remove/replace the gasket.[p]Rather than a high temp cook to remove the old gasket, you can try soaking it with a solvent and lifting it off. Or butn it off with a MAPP torch or ??[p]The Cotronic's has to be mail ordered AFAIK.[p]Local fireplace shops may have the Rutland gasket.[p]Toy Man
  • Gene
    Gene Posts: 99
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Last time I put all the felt on the bottom,Stuck one piece on top of the other. Works Great. Don't know how lone it will last. So far, so good.
    Gene

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    I read that Goo Gone soaked on the old gasket helps with removal.

• Gene, that's how I do mine, with Elmer's glue and felt from Home Depot or ACE Hdw ($2+ for 17 ft). I currently have a new layer over two old layers, and I never remove, or loosen, the bands. Gasket is on the bottom only.