Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a newbie and decided to try my 1st pulled pork. Had an 8# shoulder so thought about 16 hrs. to cook. Put on at 6:00 P.M. hoping it would be done at 10:00 A.M. next day. Dome temp. at about 225. I was hoping to take it off at 10:00 keep it warm in a cooler and golf 9 holes and impressing my company with the pork after golf. 10:00 A.M. it was not done so added some more coals. 5:00 still not done. Ate frozen pizzas about 8:00 o'clock. Company left and after letting dome temp. get to about 350, finally got the meat up to about 180 at 11:00 P.M. Let it sit for an hour and pulled about midnight. What went wrong? I did add some more coals ealier again. In previous recipes, I read the temp should be about 225. Is that the dome temp. or should temp be higher. Meat also seemed fatty. Is this the way it supposed to be or was it because I didn't let the meat get to about 195-200 degrees. Help!!! Thanks.

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Chuter, If you had to add coals 3 times you have not been reading this forum long enough understand that you need to throw that book away. 8^/

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi Chuter,
    Welcome.
    What I do is load up the egg with lump to just under the top of the fire ring and throw a pork butt on for about 20 -24 hours at a dome temp of 225 or so to a finished internal temp of 195/200.
    This is a fatty cut of meat, when I pull it I separate as much of the fat from the rest as I can.
    There is a learning curve so don't be discouraged. I've turned out a couple of truly horrible dinners using the egg and my ladies haven't left me yet.
    Cheers
    bruce

• Chuter, Just pulled one off bge. Second attempt on egg. Have probably done 100 or so on brinkman. Loaded her with lump at 9 last night. Inserted bbq guru set at 220 and went to bed. Still at 220 this am. Went to work, came home at 4. Meat temp 190. Pulled off at 5:30 200 deg. By far the best shoulder ever

• wingfoot
    wingfoot Posts: 95
    Options
    Chuter,[p]First of all, I'd check and make sure your dome thermometer is properly calibrated. I cooked mine at 250 dome and pulled them at 200 internal........ about 22 hours. Never had to add lump. Make sure you've got enough to start with. Fill it up to about half-way up the fire ring. You shouldn't have to add any more if you're using good lump. I use wicked good for long cooks. If you had a lot of fat then you probably pushed it through the plateau too fast when you bumped your temp up to 350. Hope this helps.[p]Mike
  • Chuter,
    Bottom line is this: Leave on until 195 - 200 internal, then take off and wrap in heavy foil wrapped in towels in a cooler for 1 - 4 hours. Then pull. 100% delicious!

• Fire in the Hole
    Options
    Chuter,[p]First thing I would look at is the calibration of your thermometer. Check before each low-n-slow.[p]Next, don't be afraid to fill the egg with plenty of lump. I start each low-n-slow with a clean egg and fill with lump to the top of the fire bowl. I fill the fire ring to just below the grid with soaked wood chunks. Don't worry about having too much, if you have any left at the end of the cook you just shut down the egg and use the leftovers for your next cook. I have cooked for over 24 hours on a full load and had enough left to do hamburgers the next day without reloading. You are not going to waste anything, so load it up![p]I also prefer to cook my low-n-slows at or around 225, but don't stress out if you hit 250-275 from time to time. The key is to cook at a low enough temp to not overcook the pork while the fat is rendering. Too high a temp will produce a butt that cooks too fast to allow the fat to melt properly. The meat will be done, but it will not be as tender and moist as you would like. Too low a temp and the fat never renders, or melts through the meat. I think that is what happened to you this time. Cooking at too high or too low a temp will often leave too much fat in the meat. If you are not having to pick out lumps of fat then you are right on target.[p]So, make sure the thermometer is calibrated, and target 225-250 dome temp. Leave the dome closed and savor the smoke for about 2 hours per pound. Toward the end of the cook time start checking the internal meat temp. I prefer an internal temp of 195 minimum for a more moist product and 200 for a more well-done butt.[p]Sounds like you are on the right track. Just keep practicing and you will get the hang of it in no time![p]:)