Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shwarma/Gyro Recipe

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a newbie to the BGE, I have only been cooking for a few weeks. It has been long enough to cook some fantastic Steaks, ribs, Turkey and several Pizzas'. I was looking to expand my cooking experience to some Middle Eastern delights. two of my favorites are Gyro and Shwarma. I was looking to see if anyone has tried to cook either of these on the BGE. From talking to my dealer they said that the BGE is designed as such that rotisserie is not needed, which made me think it would be perfect for some gyro or shwarma.[p]

Comments

• Joshua Kane,[p]Go to foodtv.com and type in Alton and Gyro under search. I haven't tried it yet but AB has a great recipe that would work great on the egg.[p]Take care,
    Bullet

• penfresh
    penfresh Posts: 103
    Options
    Joshua ,[p]Have you downloaded Wise One's cookbook? I beleive that is where I got my gyro recipe-he used ground lamb and beef and you make it like a meatloaf. It is just awesome. Better than most I have had even in the Greek places in Tarpon Springs.[p]Penny[p]
  • Bullet,[p]do you still cook it like a meat loaf? I was hoping to be able to slice it like they do at the restaraunts.[p]-- Joshua[p]
  • Mark from Utah
    Options
    Try this link. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks good and fairly easy. Mark[p][p]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2005/messages/198519.htm
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Joshua Kane,
    I've ate at a Turkish place that had ground lamb wraped around a metal skewer (sheesh kabab?) that was flat. It was like metal strapping. If you could get some that was stainless steel that might be a good approach for you.[p]Dennis

• Joshua Kane,
    Very similar to a meat loaf and just cut it very thin.[p]Bullet

• ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    Options
    Joshua Kane,[p]Had some real success with this:[p]GyroExperiment004.jpg[p]GyroExperiment006.jpg[p]GyroExperiment010.jpg[p]GyroExperiment011.jpg

• Iranian cello kebab, Indian sikh kebab, and a kebab whose name escapes me from a Lebanese/Greek place called the Purple Cafe in Mobile (excellent homemade gyro and shawarma as well). are all in the same meat loaf on a stick family.[p]One cello kebab recipe I have tried involved marinating ground meat above pulped up onion, getting the onion vapors that do a number on your eyes to flavor the meat. Well worth the trouble.[p]Commercial gyro meat has too fine a texture for ground beef plate in the meat grinder. If that's what you're trying to achieve, go with the finer sausage grinding plate.[p]Recipes should be easy enough to find online, at local library or bookstore.[p]Those holey smokes dillies the BBQ Guru guy sells might be worth considering for making your casingless sausage product hold together while cooking.