Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade Boudin and Rendezvous Ribs

Options
Finally got my sausage stuffer to go with the meat grinder.  Went to the butcher and picked up a 5 lb boston butt and some hog casings for my first attempt at sausage.  Decided to do some Boudin. Kind of played around with the seasonings, and made a mild batch as well as a not so mild batch.  Ended up with about 25, 8 inch links.  Threw a few links on the egg (I prefer grilled Boudin over steamed), whipped up some of my Remoulade-ish sauce to go with the sausage, and went to eatin'.  Turned out great!  I will tweak it a little next time, but I was very pleased with the first attempt.   

Also, ran across a good lookin' rack of spares, and figured I'd rub 'em down with some Rendezvous Rub (courtesy of missingtoof) and throw those on for a few hours.  In the corner of the butcher shop, I noticed a few bags of lump called B & P Lump Charcoal.  When I looked closer, I realized it is made in Birmingham! Being the sucker for local stuff that I am, I figured I'd try it.  20 lb bag for $16.  Good mix of big and small pieces, as well as a good flavor.  

All in all, a great night grillin' with the family.  

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited January 2013
    Options
    lookin' good mhang.  You got any liver n rice in that boudin?

I called every butcher in Birmingham, and couldn't find pork liver. So, I did without the liver. Next time I may try some other kind of liver. I hate to make something that is not absolutely authentic, but, sadly, there is NO pork liver in Birmingham, unless you slaughter the hog yourself! Haha! I am open to any suggestions. There is rice in it.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Cool.  I'll bet, in a pinch, you could substitute braunschweiger for the liver (liver sausage that tastes like boudin) - I'm pretty sure they sell that everywhere.  I love that stuff - both boudin and braunschweiger - both are always stocked here at home.
    Surprisingly, Walmart here carries a Boudin that is pretty good. It may make you cringe, but it's made in Texas. That's about it for Boudin around here. I too, love Boudin (and all Cajun food for that matter), and I love the thought of knowing what's in it when I make it. Good idea with the Braunschweiger. I will definitely try that.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    They lotta cajuns in Texas, I'd let the sausage stand on it's own.  If it's good, it's good.  Lots of little cottage boudin makers down here.  They probably fail every other health inspection but some of them make some incredible boudin.  I'll bet I don't want to know what their "secret ingredients" are.  Probably nutria meat and squirrel blood. 
    :-&
    Options
    @bham_egger if your ever in Cullman you may be able to get the pork liver from a place called Brickyard Meats. I'm not sure if they have it but it may be worth a phone call.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Most larger grocery stores, if they don't have fresh liver, they'll usually carry it frozen. It's usually in a round plastic container, covered in frost.
    shtgunal3 said:

@bham_egger if your ever in Cullman you may be able to get the pork liver from a place called Brickyard Meats. I'm not sure if they have it but it may be worth a phone call.

Thanks Shtgunal. I will definitely try that. I don't get to Cullman much, since everywhere I go is south of Gardendale, where I live. But it would definitely be worth the trip to check them out.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Looks outstanding! I went to Memphis last year and tried Rendezvous. I like their rub a lot....ended up picking up a bottle while I was there. I've used it a few times now. It's good on chicken too. The after sauce of vinegar, water and rub is very good along with it.
  • freduc2
    freduc2 Posts: 73
    Options
    My daughter and I were going to try to make boudin in today.

Bham_egger. I saw a lot of that used chicken liver instead. So my question is, never having had boudin before how much different is it from pork liver? And being its already cooked could I just smoke inderect around 250 just to crisp up the casing and get some color?
    LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I called every butcher in Birmingham, and couldn't find pork liver. So, I did without the liver. Next time I may try some other kind of liver. I hate to make something that is not absolutely authentic, but, sadly, there is NO pork liver in Birmingham, unless you slaughter the hog yourself! Haha! I am open to any suggestions. There is rice in it.
    I did a boudin batch over the holidays and used chicken liver.  Later found pork liver in 3 different oriental grocery stores in Orlando.

Sausage, Pork, Rice, Boudin, Cajun, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:  
    8 Lbs    Pork Butt, Cut into 1 1/2 " Pieces  
    2 Lbs    Chicken Liver and juice  
    3 Cups    Chopped Onions  
    1 1/2 Cups    Celery, Diced  
    3 Tbs    Indian River Spice Mix  
    3 Tbs    Turkish Bay Leaves  

2 Cups    White Rice, Uncooked=8 Cups cooked  
    2 Tbs    Salt  

2 Tbs    Indian River Chipotle Seasoning  
    2 Tbs    Smoked Jalapeño Seasoning Salt  
    2 Tbs    Indian River Rainbow Pepper  
    2 Tbs    Cayenne pepper  
    1 1/2 Cups    Parsley, Italian, Chopped  
    1 Cup    Scallions, Chopped  
    1 1/2   Red Bell Pepper, Chopped  
    3 Tbs    Minced Garlic  
    1 1/2 Link    Pork Casing 35mm did 28 4" links  

PROCEDURE:
    1 Take the pork butt and cut into 1- 1 1/2 inch pieces, fat and all. Place in pot with water to cover and add the bone, celery, onion and Indian River Spice Seasoning and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and simmer 1 1/2-2 hours. Last 30 minutes add the chicken livers and blood.. Remove from heat and cool.
    2 Take the broth from the meat and make the rice. Let cool.
    3 Boil the red peppers by themselves until soft.
    4 imageWhen the meat with onions and celery is cool, I left in frigerator over night, In a large pan mix the ground meat with celery and onions with the parsley, scallions, drained bell peppers and all the seasoning..
    5 Run thru a meat grinder with 1/4" holes.
    6 Mix this with the cooked rice and then begin stuffing into casings.
    7 imageAfter the stuffing is completed, I placed the sausage in the boiling meat stock for 8-10 minutes and then cooled. A few of the sausage broke and added flavor to the stock. Used this for gumbo.

Yield: 28-32 4 " links

Recipe Type
    American, Appetizer, Meat, Side Dish

Cooking Tips
    Cook meat until the meat falls off the bone 1- 1 1/2 hours.

Recipe Source

Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2012/09/20

,Notes to Self---Might add a little paprika and another 2-3 cups cooked rice next time. 60% cooked meat, 40% cooked rice or a little less.