Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Caution - BGE on cement/wood

AbqEgg'r
AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I pulled my two eggs out of the new table so I could sand and apply the finish. Found the plywood where both eggs had been was scorched. These eggs were sitting on two inch cement stepping stones. Apparently cement is a great conductor of heat. Guess I'll put those funny little legs back..the air gap should take care of the problem.

Comments

• Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    AbqEgg'r,
    I am about to put my BGE inside a cypress built cart...is there away to prevent this type scorching?

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Chief,[p] Two suggestions. First, always leave a thin layer of ash in the bottom of the BGE. I have found this to work wonders as an insulator. Second, use the little feet. An air gap is also effective at reducing the heat transmission. I have have a large BGE in a pressure-treated lumber table. I use only the feet (no other block or stepping-stone) but make sure to leave some ash in the bottom. Never had any "scorching," even after three batches of steaks on New Year's . . .[p]MikeO
  • Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    MikeO,
    Thanks.....you'd da man.

• AbqEgg'r,
    I never liked the legs that come with a Kamado - so I always use ceramic tiles from bathroom/kitchen to "four point" my grill. These seem to be much more stable than the legs, but still alow cooling area and keep the unit up out of any water puddles etc.[p]The Wanderer