Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Guy Potatoes (Meat Version This Time)

Options

I thought I would expand out on my potato idea. I got a sirloin, cut it up and did the same thing as earlier this week. Here is that thread

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1272588#Comment_1272588

I cooked the potatoes for about 10 minutes as I didn't want the steak to be on the grill as long. I also dusted the pieces of meat.image

Here they are wrapped and readyimage

On the grill in-direct at 325°image

I turned them after 30 minutes. I figured they would be done but they were at 120° so I left them on another 30 minutes. Thermopen said 145° - 150°image

And all done. Next time I will cook the potatoes till they are about 140°, wrap with meat and should be a much quicker cook. When I did the bacon ones, I used raw potatoes and 1 hour they were good. This one I used partially cooked potatoes and after an hour, the potato wasn't done. I also will do thicker cut meat or cut the potatoes in half. Maybe I'll cook up some potato wedges and wrap those???

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I might parboil the potatoes to speed things up, or wrap the sirloin with bacon to act as an insulator for a longer cooking time. The sirloin is denser, so you would need the longer time to finish off the potato, but you risk over-cooking the meat. Maybe also do them raised direct above the felt line.

They do look good though. How was the
    taste?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Like the idea of bacon wrapped sirloin wrapped potato - kinda slider steak dinner...

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Please mail me your failed attempts. You are on to something.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    heres a thought, its something i used to do with the fingerlings. boil til done, take out of the water, then refridgerate, use all week as hash browns, pioneer woman smashed potatoes, slightly crunch in the palm of your hand then egg flour deep fry(tastes like a tatartot). i think slighty crushing would let some flavor into the potato with the bacon or meat wrap
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    Brine the potatoes first, rinse after several hours.  Place in a bowl and pour hot water over them and let sit until water is cooled off.  Then do your thing.  They tend to be fluffier after brining.  BTW use russets, they work better for bakers.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!