Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cajun Andouille Chili

1 lb. andouille (I like Savoie's) or smoked sausage, sliced
15 oz. hot chorizo
1 lb. ground beef
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup chili powder
2 Tbsp. Creole seasoning (see below)
salt to taste
1 tsp. cumin seed
(2) 10 oz. cans Rotel Original (not drained)
(2) 8 oz. cans Hunt's Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce
1/4 cup Hunt's ketchup

Note: To make it less spicy, use mild chorizo and/or mild Rotel.

Directions:
Brown the andouille, chorizo and ground beef in a large stock pot till it's all fully cooked. Drain the liquid into a large bowl and reserve.

Return the meat to the pot. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and continue cooking on med-high till the onion starts to become translucent (2-4 min), stirring frequently. Stir in the chili powder, Creole seasoning, salt and cumin and cook another 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add back 2 Tbsp. of the drained fat/seasonings from before and cook another 2 min. Add the Rotel, tomato sauce, and ketchup and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for about 30 minutes.

A word about the Creole seasoning:
I use Chuck Taggert's recipe from The Gumbo Pages, the best cajun recipe website there is. It's a lot to do just for one recipe, but you can of course keep using it as a general purpose seasoning. The great thing about it is that it doesn't have any salt. You get to add the salt as you see fit. If you don't want to make your own, something like Tony Chachere's or Old Bay should work, and then you probably wouldn't have to add any extra salt.

Creole Seasoning Blend

• 2 tablespoons onion powder
• 2 tablespoons garlic powder
• 2 tablespoons dried oregano
• 2 tablespoons dried sweet basil
• 1 tablespoon dried thyme
• 1 tablespoon black pepper
• 1 tablespoon white pepper
• 1 tablespoon (or less) cayenne pepper
• 1 tablespoon celery seed
• 5 tablespoons sweet paprika

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Looks good. No beans......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Did you egg this?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Definitely not Texas chili, but it does look interesting.  I like all the ingredients.  Come to Salado and make it so I can taste it before I cook it.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I'm brand new to the BGE world so I haven't tried it yet on the Egg, but I don't see why it wouldn't work well.
  • jigawatt
    jigawatt Posts: 20
    edited January 2013

Definitely not Texas chili, but it does look interesting.  I like all the ingredients.  Come to Salado and make it so I can taste it before I cook it.  

I do have some family in San Antoino, but I doubt I'll be coming through Salado any time soon. For what it's worth, it did win my church's Chili cook-off a couple years ago. But what do St. Louisans know about chili?

Just substituting chorizo and sliced sausage for some of the meat in some other chili recipe might work as well or better than this one.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sounds good, might give er a go.

You ought to be able to get some good andouille -- it's pretty hard to come by up here in St. Louis. Good thing I got about 15lbs in the freezer! I grew up in north Louisiana near Monroe and my parents still live there, so I bootleg some up when my stock runs low.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have a pound in my freezer right now.  Yeah, it's easy to get good local andouille here.  I think I have everything I need to make your recipe, except for the chorizo, but I can always grind up some pork and make it. ;)