Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I buy an Egg at Eggfest?

Black_Badger
Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello All, 
New to the forums, but excited to learn more about the BGE. I'm considering buying an XL model at an Eggfest that's about 100 miles from my home. My concern is how I can transport it back home if I do so. Will I need a trailer? Can two guys hoist it into the back of a pickup? Will it be too hot to move, or will moving it while hot be an issue? Seems like a golden opportunity, but I want to know what I'm getting myself into before I commit to a high dollar, major purchase. 

Cheers -
Chris

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092

Buying an Egg at a fest is a great way to get a discount. There will be people there to help you load the BGE in your vehicle but once you get home you are on your own. If you have a pick up truck that will help. A trailer is not a bad idea but you will need to tie it down.

The Eggs get shut down between 2-3PM so they have time to cool off so heat should not be a problem. Buy a

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Make sure the trailer is well suspended!
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    No problem if you have a pickup, Chris. When carrying the Eggs in my pickup bed, we load without the nest, and strap in well. Been traveling with them like that for many years with no issues.
    Cheers. You'll love your Egg.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Black_Badger
    Okay, decided to pull the trigger and sent in my order. Still not sure I can get it home in the Commander, but the folks at Outdoor Kitchen Creations in Upland were really helpful. What are the accesories I will absolutely need right off the bat? Plate setter? Cover? 

Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts. 

Cheers -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    If you have an SUV or large hatchback, you'll be fine, though you may need to disassemble the lid to fit it if it's a small vehicle (bring a few crescent wrenches with you).  If you just have a regular car....you may struggle to fit it in there. 

I have a plate setter and a raised grid.  So far I haven't found myself wanting anything.... other than wanting more time to cook :)
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    You should be fine fitting it in a commander
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491

You can reduce the height of the XL by about 10 inches if you do the following...

Bring a quilt or a blanket. On the XL it is really easy to remove the dome, flip it upside down, and set it back into the base.  To prevent damaging the green finsih on the dome, you will want to wrap the dome in the blanket before you set it into the base,

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I'd think you'd be ok with clearance on a Commander. Mine came home with the dome ON in a Ford Explorer. If you're concerned about the height measure your clearance and compare to the height of an XL. I'm sure someone with a taller dome XL can provide a measurement (or I can later tonight).
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Okay, decided to pull the trigger and sent in my order. Still not sure I can get it home in the Commander, but the folks at Outdoor Kitchen Creations in Upland were really helpful. What are the accesories I will absolutely need right off the bat? Plate setter? Cover? 

Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts. 

Cheers -
    B_B
    cover.....maybe it's me but I never used mine. It's always hot when you are done cooking so you have wait for hours to put it on (generally the next day if you do dinner). Then you have to go out and put the cover back on the next day for a few hours before taking it off to cook again. Mine has been totally exposed to 4 Wisconsin winters and now the 3 hottest TX summers on record with no cover and it's fine. The finish has "spider webbed" a little but it's 7 years old and cranking out the good stuff 3X a week. I dunno, I'm not that anal (there's that word again) about it looking pristine- it's a tool for me and gets treated as such. My 2 cents.............
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219

We bought 3 of our 4 at eggfests, they are shut down at 3 and by 5 are cleaned out and cooled down. 2 people can easily pull it from it's nest and put it in the vehicle. You will love it. We now have 1 small, 2 large, and an xl. Planning on another xl in November.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I recommend that you check out the Ceramic Grill Store site and look at what accessories they have and how they match to how you think you will cook on your Egg. Thirdeye's Third Hand tool is my favorite choice for a grid lifting tool.

My XL measures 30" in height in case you want to check the clearance in your car.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Bumm39
    Bumm39 Posts: 60

check out your local Ace Hardware store I saved 2 hundred dollars

• Black_Badger
    Thanks everyone, I'd heard taking the top on and off is difficult due to the spring mechanism, but I'll have some tools on hand in case that's the way to go. I did check the clearance and it looks like it'll be tight but doable. I'm certainly excited to get it up and running, and I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions in the future. 

Cheers -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • Boomer
    Boomer Posts: 115
    Bumm39 said:

check out your local Ace Hardware store I saved 2 hundred dollars

Since when did ACE begin selling the Big Green Egg?
    Genius SMFH
  • @Boomer - Before sarcastically calling someone a genius, you might want to check how old the thread is.  Makes you look silly.
    Flint, Michigan
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821

At last years SoCal Eggfest I actually saw an XL put in the back of a Prius hatchback. It would have been even more fun to see them take it out! For all I know it may still be in there! If you have a p/u truck, no sweat. Bring blankets and/or towels. Taking out the firebox, fire ring, and grate will help shed quite a few pounds. Removing the dome is no big deal either, just remember to torque it back specs when you put it back together. In fact when you get it home I would recheck everything to make sure everthings tight. Remember there were a bunch of them assembled when your was and something may have been missed.

Congrats on your decision,

Tim

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Boomer
    Boomer Posts: 115
    Point made WAS, ACE never sold the product. Try and comprehend that...
  • I know a few Ace Hardware stores that have sold Big Green Eggs.  All individual owned stores can become dealers if they decide to do so.  Just sayin'.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited January 2013
    I haven't read all of the posts, but I do have an observation.  I stir fried on a wok at Salado last year and did some damage to the gasket.  I have read that it is not uncommon.  I'm not certain, but I believe the normal discount is about 20% at Eggfests.  My local dealer gives a 20% discount during the winter months for NEW Eggs.  Also, a friend of mine was going to buy a demo Egg at Salado, but he went to the dealer in Austin and told him that.  The dealer said he'd give him the same discount as a demo Egg.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Thanks for the info VI...when I'm ready to pull the trigger on a XL I will see if my local BGE dealer will match Eggfest prices. @Boomer a few Ace Hardware stores in my area sell BGE
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    The key maybe to buying an Egg is getting the warranty, which only seems to come from purchasing from a dealer or an event like an Eggfest. So if the dealer won't deal down then hopefully the Eggfest is an option. Otherwise, to buy an Egg second hand you would want to negotiate down a little further due to the lack of warranty. We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    This shot is inside Keith's Ace Hardware in Salado, TX just before last years Salado EggFest. This Ace has sold over 65 Egg's in the past 2 Salado Fest's'. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136

You'll need the plate setter for sure or you won't be able to do the lo and slo.Therma pen is a must for cooking.  If you can the three tier adj rig is fantastic huge amount of meat can be cooked on the XL with that set-up.  A good set of leather gloves for moving hot grids and plate setter is needed.  That's a good start.

• Mickey

Might want to think the "You'll need the plate setter for sure or you won't be able to do the lo and slo" thing. You do not need a plate setter for a low and slow. The plate setter would be the very last item from BGE I would buy. I only have it because I did not know any better a long time ago.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Mickey said:

Might want to think the "You'll need the plate setter for sure or you won't be able to do the lo and slo" thing. You do not need a plate setter for a low and slow. The plate setter would be the very last item from BGE I would buy. I only have it because I did not know any better a long time ago.

yep
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    travisstrick  Are you going to pick up this Weekend Warrior before it rots in my office? I think it is starting to smell.

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Mickey said:

I cooked on Imperial Kamados for a couple of decades before I knew what a platesetter was. You definetly can do low and slow wiyhout one.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    R2Egg2Q said:
    I recommend that you check out the Ceramic Grill Store site and look at what accessories they have and how they match to how you think you will cook on your Egg. Thirdeye's Third Hand tool is my favorite choice for a grid lifting tool.
    Agree whole-heartedly.  I skipped the platesetter and got a Woo2 and stone from CGS.  More versatile than a PS.  They have several good ways to go. 

The third hand is great too.  He had been back-logged, order now if you can.

Cover is of great value if you never use your egg.  ;)
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I agree you don't have to have the plate setter but I use mine all the time. I have the woo for my small and mini and the adjustable rig for my large and XL but I don't like to get my pizza stones dirty so I use a plate setter in my small, large and XL. To do pizzas you need 2 levels of indirect so I needed plate settee anyways it 2 pizza stones.
  • Mickey
    edited January 2013
    No problem if you have a pickup, Chris. When carrying the Eggs in my pickup bed, we load without the nest, and strap in well. Been traveling with them like that for many years with no issues.
    Cheers. You'll love your Egg.
    Chris

I have a "handler" on mine. I pulled the top off and left the bottom in the nest to travel Tx/Fl and back ( worked fine). Thinking next year leaving top on it. Your thoughts. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos