Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSWOO3 OR AR WITH 13" STONE QUESTION?

Options

Hi all,

I'm definatly being a little premature here because I don't even have my large egg yet and won't until fathers day 2013 but im planning my set-up now and was wondering how many racks of ribs can you squeeze onto a large egg using the pswoo3 and platesetter set-up compared to a basic AR setup with 13" stone as the indirect piece(customer combo).Do you get less indirect real estate with the  AR and 13" stone (no extender) compared to the  PSwoo3 set-up? Is the ps larger than the 13" stone? Will the 13" stone burn the ends of the ribs?

Five minutes ago I was set on the AR oval RB combo with sliders and extender but realized that maybe way overkill for me.I usually cook steaks and burgers(on gasser) and really want to try out the pork butts and ribs as well.

Basically its me,my wife and two daughters of which the pswoo3 and setter would be sufficient but we often have family over and I don't think I'd be able to cook 3-4 full racks of ribs on the ps woo3 indirect set-up...or would I?

thanks

Jamie.

Im pretty sure the basic AR set-up with the 13"stone yelds more surface area for indirect cooks but the pswoo3 also has the drop spider ring which appeals to me also.

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited January 2013
    Options
    The round portion of the platesetter is slightly smaller than the diameter of the 13" round stone from CGS but the legs of the platesetter can provide a some coverage for indirect cooking. With either set up you'll want to protect the ends of the ribs from the direct heat (a drip pan or foil works). You would get more cooking space with the AR set up. If you trim spares down to a St Louis cut, you should be able to squeeze 3 racks laying flat onto the PS Woo set up. Baby backs should be about the same. With a rib rack fitting 3-4 racks on the PS Woo set up should be no problem (BGE site says it'll fit 7 racks that way and I've seen posts with more but crammed in there). If you like to cook your ribs flat and want 3-4 racks I think you'd be better off with an AR combo.

If you haven't checked out the AR narratives at the CGS site, check it out at http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig/sliding-grids.html and use the red "tabs" to switch through the various uses of the AR. Tom has pics of just about every option possible and they could help you decide if it is overkill. Another option would be to call Tom & discuss how you envision your cooking needs and he can steer you in the right direction and not oversell you.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options

Thanks R2Egg2Q.I figure i'll end up with the pswoo3 to start with and a rib rack.Maybe later down the road ill get the AR...its seems to be quite the set-up.

Worse case senario i'll find some fire bricks to fit the extra rack or two on top and save the extra $$$ for a thermapen!!!

Come on Fathers day!!!!!

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).