Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Forgot to burp - should know better

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
Heated up the Egg for a quick burger cook, and it was at 550 after about 20 minutes.  Opened her up to throw on the burgers without thinking and had a huge flashback.  No more hair on my left hand.  Afterward, opened the vents up for a quick 5 minute grease burn off and for the first time had a nice blue flame coming out the top.  Looked like an upside down rocket.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited January 2013
    Looks like Sam's ego is shooting out the top of your egg! ;)
    Ahhhh - that beautiful sight of an egg in full after-burn....

Last summer a couple of friends have asked that I let the egg idle until it gets dark so they can see this in the dark. Much better this time of year, can burn it out right after the meal....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • OziEgg
    OziEgg Posts: 48
    How do you do that?
  • Ouch!  Neat picture.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited January 2013
    Cool pix!!

After the two flashbacks I've had  I have programmed myself to do a double burp (excuse me!). It is getting so ingrained, I often burp the Egg even when it isn't lit and I am opening it to add charcoal and get started. Not intentionally, but I must be on auto pilot.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Tjcoley
    Back when I first started with the Egg, and was still using the gasser, after my first flash back on the Egg, I burped my gasser on a regular basis.  It is now my platesetter holder when not in use, I've not had a flashback in a year of Egging.  Just got lazy/distracted tonight and re learned a great lesson.
    OziEgg said:
    How do you do that?
    Fill the fire box with fresh lump after cleaning out the ash from last weeks pizza cook. Light and cook a few burgers at 550, then just open up the vents for a few minutes.  Much more impressive in the dark.  
  • Lex
    Lex Posts: 6
    I had left the ash screen open one night and had a flash come out of the bottom of the egg, I was glad I had long pants on that night, and that my dogs were not standing there waiting patiently for their "treat"
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Ahh! The blue flame. Nothing like carbon monoxide burning at 2100F Hmmm, maybe there could be a new category off Egg'd food. Foods seared at the really raised position above the vent. I figure a hot dog might take maybe 5 seconds to get a nice charred crust.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Looks like Sam's ego is shooting out the top of your egg! ;)
    Hahaha
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    To me, it is scarier when you have the flame coming out of the bottom vent. Feel like the whole table is going to catch.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013