Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings - need recipe and advice

Options
I need a good recipe for wings. I like spicy, and like my wings crispy so was thinking raised direct. Any suggestions? Also is there enough mass to measure the temp with Thermapen?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I toss in canola oil to help get crisp amd help the dry rub stick. I rub and let sit for 5 to 10 min and then go raised direct at 400 to 450 and turn every 10 min or so until they are cooked through. I'll probably get flamed for this, but I don't check temp on them, I go by feel. If they are firm and crisp they are done. I then take them and toss them in Frank's red hot wing sauce, then put them back on for 5 min, flip and cook another 5 min. Depending on how I'm feeling, I may give them another quick toss in sauce, but not always. I've always had great results with this method. But there are many different opinions on wings.
  • trip150
    trip150 Posts: 55
    Options
    I do a light paprika coating, then a light coat of corn starch and air dry in the fridge for an hour. Then 400* indirect for 30 min, flip and another 20 min, then coat with sauce for another 10 (30/20/10 method). I've been experimenting with time and temp to get the wings cooked just right - it really depends on the size of the wing and consistency of temp to get them cooked the way I like (slightly crispy). This has worked the best for a crispy wing for me without drying them out. I've tried direct heat and the inconsistent temp and potential for burning some wings requires the platesetter IMO. I did these wings on New Years in the snow with three sauces and they turned out great.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Many roads lead to great wings and there is a ton of great advice on here.

I like my wings crispy, too. I coat them with a few seasonings, then corn starch, and then air dry in the refrigerator like @trip150.

Cook raised direct for about an hour at ~300, cooking the majority of the time skin up.

Chicken Wings on The Big Green Egg  Chicken Wings Chicken Wings
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Kristi I never thought of doing the corn starch that way. I did it once and found it lumpy and never tried the corn starch again. Very cool of you.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    I used this recipe that was posted @SamFarrise. Made these wings on Christmas Eve and they were a huge hit. Jamaican Jerk Marinade/Sauce 5 scallions (green onions) 5 sprigs of fresh thyme (about 1 tablespoon chopped) 2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon black pepper 1 tablespoon brown sugar 2 teaspoon ground allspice 1 teaspoon nutmeg 1 teaspoon cinnamon 2 Scotch Bonnet peppers (Habanera) 1/3 cup soy sauce 2 tablespoon vegetable oil 1/4 cup vinegar 1 onion 1/2 cup orange juice 2 cloves garlic 1 teaspoon grated ginger BTW..thanks for posting that Sam.
    Bloomfield, NJ