Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time wings - some help please

Options
got I've large BGE and have done a lot of Boston Butts and ribs but never done any wings so thought it was time I tried some,  I've been reading some here on the website and thinking I'll go indirect for  my first cook and will be using Moore's wing sauce and already have a 10 lb bag of frozen wings from Sams.  So any ideas will be appreciated - Thanks much and Happy New Year all

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I cool them at about 500 indirect for around 30 minutes. I also do them raised direct at 400 sometimes but you have to flip them, cook them longer, and keep an eye on them.

They are great both ways.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I cook mine indirect at @ 275 - 300. I use a mild honey rub I get from Butcher BBQ. You can use wood chops to impart smoke if you like or just cook them with the rub. It's really up to your taste. I let mine go @ 45 - 1 hour. I try to get them a little charred in a few spots. You can achieve this by leaving them on one side for an extended period or by kicking the temp up for few minutes at the end of the cook. Then simply toss in bowl with your wing sauce, let them absorb for a couple minutes, remove from bowl and plate to serve. If the wing sauce is too hot for you or you guests, simply cut the sauce by adding butter. Make sure the wings are defrosted and dried out before cooking.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can very lightly dust with a little corn starch to help crisp up the skin.

Search for Cazzy's wings - it's his opus magnum.
    Options
    I use fresh wings, little dry rub indirect 450-475 about 35 min flip once sauce em and eat them
  • sola
    sola Posts: 118
    Options

You can very lightly dust with a little corn starch to help crisp up the skin.

Search for Cazzy's wings - it's his opus magnum.

I stole this from Cazzy also. I do indirect around 450. For 2 beers or so. I don't flip em. Season then how you like em. If you have a plate setter I believe you will have to try real hard to burn em.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Depends if I'm saucing them or not.  If just putting a rub on I grill them on a raised direct setup at about 375 degrees until the wings are all about 175*.  If saucing the wings I do indirect at about 400-450 degrees. (that depends on how much the charcoal is sparking, the higher the better)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Raised direct 375-400 for about an hour. Used my favorite sauce with a good amount of Franks hot sauce, some garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, honey and butter. These were the best tasting ones I've done and the best looking.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Wangs can take some heat before drying out, since they're loaded with fat.  I cook mine up to 190-200. 
    Thanks much everyone - great input now have a good idea which way to go - thanks again
  • Eggwardo
    Options
    Sounds like you are all set but thought I'd add another way: mix 1 cup flour and 1 cup corn meal with a few tablespoons of your favorite rub, in another bowl or whatever, 1 egg and a cup of milk. Dip and smother and let them sit in the fridge for a few hours to set (I separate layers with wax paper). Cook over direct at 250'ish (with your favorite wood for light smoke) flipping every 30 minutes...usually takes me 1.5-2 hours. They get nice and crispy..then I sauce. Had my share of compliments; may try some other idea's here just to compare though!
  • HarleyDoug
    Options
    thanks much sounds good!