Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new egghead

Options
daffy1909
daffy1909 Posts: 498
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
im firing up my new large egg for the first time tonite (making ribs).just looking for tips on time,heat,wood chips,that sort of thing.can anyone help?thanks!

Comments

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I usually follow the Car Wash Mike's method. Turns out a great product every time.

Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Turbo Ribs::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Did baby backs for lunch a while back. (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.)
    350 indirect 1hr 40 min.
    Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs.
    Note: with or w/o mustard works
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• daffy1909
    Options
    thanks biggreenbamagriller!i think ill try this,i like the low and slow methods,more time for beverages!ill let u know how it turns out!thanks again!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Welcome @daffy1909 Ribs are often viewed as being good depending on what you are used to and like. The two bookends are basically a slow cooked "dry" rib, like those noted by Mickey (turbo) and BamaGriller (4-5 hour) above and "wet" ribs, Often called 3-2-1 ribs, basically smoked indirect at 225-250 for 2-3 hours, foiled with "juice/wine" for 1-2 hours and then sauced for 1/2-1 hour. 

Although I prefer a dry more competition style rib, SWMBO prefers the fall off the bone very moist wet style rib. Both are good. IMHO wet style ribs are very overcooked - but that's just what she likes. 

Wet ribs are easier with a guaranteed finish as you learn your egg's temp control. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  All great info above-just experiment and you will find the method(s) that work for you with ribs and everything else you can cook on the BGE.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN