Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven general Questions

Options
It seems like DO's were a pretty popular gift this Christmas-me included.  Are there any general guidelines of when to use the lid and when not to?  Also, does direct or indirect cooking make a difference?

Comments

• jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Options

Got my Egg and dutch oven last summer. The peach cobbler recipe on the BGE website I found to be the best of several recipes I've tried. Best indirect with the lid off. I did the Food Networks Prarie Woman's green bean with tomato recipe on Christmas. Did the bacon and onions on the stove top and put the DO on the Egg direct as soon as the prime rib came off. Also no lid. Both came out great. The cobbler is perfect to put on after your other cooking so it cooks while you eat. It makes an awesome presentation to bring the DO to the table, set it on a couple of bricks, and serve desert right from it. Make sure to caution all not to touch it, may not be a good idea with younguns around.

Mythoughts are that generally you want the lid off to get the benefits of smoke, I've yet to cook with it on. If it's a recipe you would regularly do in the oven go indirect, if normally on the stove top go direct. I'm likely going to do the chile recipe I've ben doing on the stove top for years in the DO on New Years day. I'll go direct with no lid so it will pick up the smoke. 

LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have a 9qt for my large and a 7 for the medium/small and I usually cook on the grate direct with the top off.  Indirect will work I just prefer the other way. Just be sure there is plenty of liquid and stir once in awhile.

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    It depends on what you are cooking, per the lid.  I love baked beans cooked raised direct with the lid off and hickory chunks.  That same combo wouldn't be very good for Banana's Foster.