Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

reheating whole butt prepulled

I cooked two 7 lb butts for a Christmas eve party, I only pulled one of them, served it, it was awesome. The other pork butt I wrapped in foil whole (not pulled) and put in the fridge to save for another party on Friday.

My question is.......Is there a best way to re-heat a whole unpulled pork-butt, and then pull it? Do I heat it first and then pull or try pulling it cold then reheat? (which I'd rather not do)

I'm thinking if I pour a little broth in the foil around the butt, keep it wrapped in foil and re-heat it in the oven that it might be good.

But I need a proven method, I don't want to experiment and then be disappointed with the results at the party on Friday night.

If I have to I'll just buy another one and start from scratch. But I'd like to use the one I already cooked.

Your help and advice is great appreciated.
"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
New Orleans

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That works fine.  I'm actually doing that right now, except it's a big chunk of brisket.  Wrap in foil with some liquid - water or broth or apple juice then heat it up in the oven. 
    edited December 2012

That works fine.  I'm actually doing that right now, except it's a big chunk of brisket.  Wrap in foil with some liquid - water or broth or apple juice then heat it up in the oven. 
    Thanks nolaegg!

I'm going to reheat it at my daughters house in Lakeview, in her oven, not on my bge. Any idea as to how long and at what temp to set the oven temp. Should I bring my thermapen and check the internal temp?
    I don't post often but do check the forum from time to time. I really enjoy your posts, you give great advice and have some awesome looking cooks.
    I'm born and raised in N.O. Lake Terrace /St. Frances Cabrini boy / BMHS :).

New Orleans

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @TigerTony - always happy to see fellow locals egging!  Lakeview is looking nice now days - it really bounced back after the flood. 

You can bring your thermapen or just use one of those cheap meat thermometers - you're just looking to heat it up to ballpark serving temp - maybe 140F (like a ham).  I'd set the oven at 275-300F. 

I'm not born and raised, but SWMBO is, and I've been living here, mostly Algiers Point, for the past 22 years.
    That's what I'll do, thanks so much!
    22 years, long enough, you're one of us. 
    Ahh.. The West Bank, I rarely go on that side the river. but I see Algiers when we go to the Moon Walk.
    New Orleans

• PSHome
    PSHome Posts: 41
    I just did this two days ago with a 10# butt that was cooked a few days earlier and wrapped in foil. On the day of reheat, I added a little apple juice inside the foil, kept the button wrapped and placed it in a covered roasting pan. Heated in 375 oven until 160 which took just over 2 hrs. Turned out great.

• PSHome
    PSHome Posts: 41
    Oh and after it reached 160 internal temp it went into a cooler for 1 hr so the oven could be used for other things. Just before serving the pork was pulled and placed in a crock pot to stay warm during a Christmas Eve party.

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    PSHome said:
    I just did this two days ago with a 10# butt that was cooked a few days earlier and wrapped in foil. On the day of reheat, I added a little apple juice inside the foil, kept the button wrapped and placed it in a covered roasting pan. Heated in 375 oven until 160 which took just over 2 hrs. Turned out great.

Awesome! I'm glad to hear that.  Now I'm not as worried. 
    Thanks for responding.

New Orleans