Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thin pizza crust

Options
MickeyT
MickeyT Posts: 607
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all![p]Could someone please share their wisdom on thin crust pizza dough? as I have not "made" any yet (I have just bought the balls in the store) I could really use some guidance. Also, what's the trick to rolling it out so it doesn't spring back to original size.[p]As you may be able to tell, pizza is not my specialty.[p]
Thanks,[p]Mick

Comments

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    MickeyT,
    Hey Mick:[p]Here's how I do it. [p]1. Open a beer or favorite adult beverage[p]2. Pick up the phone and dial my nearest Pizza Hut for home delivery[p]I've simply got to take the time to learn how to do Egg pizza one of these days. I'm sure it's the best.[p]Have a great weekend![p]Mike

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I can relate to this. We are currently just using the Boboli thin crust stuff. Going to try the Whole wheat variety tonite.[p]Toy Man
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    MickeyT, Kroger (and Martha WHite) make a pizza dough mix that you only need to add 1/2 cup of water to make. It's great for carrying with you when you want to make pizzas on the road. But it is also not nearly as "springy' as the store bought dough. You can actually roll it out very flat and it stays flat. I line a 12" pizza pan with a bit of nonstick aluminum foil and then start pressing it out. By turning the pan as I press it out, I can pretty much get a great flat, thin, round pizza dough with no problems. It also does not rise as much as the other doughs. Martha White also makes a "Deep Dish" style but I stick with the thin crust.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    MickeyT,[p]Here's one for you that we really like. We also substitute 1/2 whole wheat flour sometimes...[p]Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]Mr. Hyde's Pizza [/ul]
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Afternoon Lawn Ranger,
    I'm absolutely stunned. I couldn't be more stunned if you hit me with a big stick, mabye you should.
    Please try home made, you'll never go back.
    Happy weekend.
    bruce[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    MickeyT,[p]With the store bought balls, to keep it from springing back when you roll it out is to give it some rest time when it starts coming back and then roll it again. May take a couple of times to get the dough rolled out as thin as you want it. [p]Dave
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    badbruce,
    Well, there goes another fantasy disspelled...."Lawn Ranger hasn't done pizza on the Egg???" Remember, I'm the guy that a group of Eggers felt so sorry for that they took up a collection to get me a platesetter. [p]I promise...I'll try it.[p]Good weekend to you, too, Man.
    Lawn "Pizza Challenged" Ranger

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    LOL

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    roll out the dough & then cover it with a cloth or towel so it doesn't dry out and let it rest for 15 min.
    now continue to roll out into a circle about 1/8" thick. place on a pizza paddle or pizza screen start:
    put sauce/ cheese/ toppings on/ more cheese right away.
    place on hot pizza stone & bake immediately.

the longer you wait the more the dough will rise towards thick crust, so don't let it sit around. :cheer:
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    MickeyT, Get large flour tortillas. Heat first in non stick or iron fry pan. flip and toast both sides. Proceed to fill with toppings and cheese. Place onto egg stone. You will be surprised as it is quick and as good as the real thin crust pies.
  • Unknown
    Options
    MickeyT,
    The best way to make a very thin crust is to set your dough on a piece of wide parchment paper then put a piece of wide saran wrap over it and press it out with your hands. Get it as even as you can then put your roller to it. You can now take it down as thin as you like. When you get it the way you want, simply peel off the saran wrap and top it. The best part is you leave the parchment paper on the bottom which allows the pie to slide off the peel. The paper will come right off after it cooks. -RP

• Unknown
    Options
    MickeyT,[p]That grocery store dough can be one tough piece of rubber. I think they put some "pfk" (pimpley faced kid) to the task and he/she just runs the mixer for an hour or so - way overworking the dough and over-developing the gluten - protein in the flour that makes the dough stretchy. Best way to stretch that stuff out is to place between two sheets of plywood (clean plywod is best) and plut it under the seat cushion of your favorite chair. After finishing off about a six pack or two it should be pretty spread out and ready to finish off.[p]If you want a hand-stretch pizza, the proper sequence is: stretch dough, have a beer, stretch a little more, cuss, have another beer, stretch a little more, cuss considerably little louder, put wife on the task and have another couple beers, continue till dough is of desired size. Hell, then just have your wife finish the job and bring the pizza to you when its done![p]Seriously, when you make your own dough, which doesn't have to be anything fancy, kneed it a little bit, like 1-2 minutes max. Fresh, made by you is gonna be way easier to stretch and way better too. Keep the dough a little bit sticky and not too heavy. The wetter the dough the lighter and airier it will be. A final rise after stretching/rolling, and before adding toppings, will be rewarding if you want a bubbly crust. Also, a little olive oil in the dough mix will improve workability.[p]Gaspar
  • Peddler
    Peddler Posts: 37
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I have not been active on the forum for quite some time...been busy trying to keep my head above water after starting my own company. However, I can tell you that when I got my Egg in 2000, the forum saved me from really messing things up. Guys like you and JJ, among others, were always there at crazy days of the week and hours of the day to steer me in the right direction so I wouldn't look foolish in front of my fans. Let's not make it more difficult for newbees to get the same level of support. Long live us Eggers!
  • Peddler
    Options
    Sorry 'bout that, for some reason an old message got posted here.
  • Peddler
    Options
    MickeyT,[p]I have been making thin crust pizza for about 15 years. Early on it was trial and error. But after a while I got it and people who get a chance to eat it (if they show up on pizza night, Friday night) say it's the best they have ever tasted. The dough is easy to make, just high gluten flour, water, yeast, and salt. After it rises for an hour, I divide it up into individual balls. The next step is the secret to thin, dry, and tasty crust...freeze the dough! When you need it, take it out of the freezer and unthaw it. I first form the dough using my finger tips to stretch it out. If it fights back a little, I let it rest for a few minutes. I may also use a rolling pin to get it to be even thinner. The final step is to lift the stretched out dough, make a fist with both of my hands and hold them at the underside edge of the dough. You then just work the edge of the dough around your fists until you have it as big and as thin as you like.

• Unknown
    Options
    Peddler,[p]A pictorial of this would be great!