Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EGRET D@&* You

for coming up with this wonderful maple bourbon baked ham recipe.

Friend of ours recently passed and he loved these hams during the holidays, so as a goodby to him I cooked this am for his sister and BIL who arrived from Germany today.

Started with a 10 pounder spiral cut:

Marinated it overnight in the frig, I like to use spiral cut as they are easier to marinate, take less time to cook and are easier to serve:

Cooked indirect on my small for 3 1/2 hours at 250F with 3-4 medium chunks apple wood for smoke, then added some turbindo sugar, maple syrup, more bourbon and ground cinnamon and opened the egg to 450 for 20 minutes to sear it. Internal was between 135 and 145 depending where I stuck the thermapen. Total time just under 4 hours.

Don't forget this is a wonderfully easy addition to the holiday meals and the bone is to die for soups.
Thanks for looking.

Richard Melbooooring Fl.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    You did good Richard. Wow, I like the spiral cut as they are easier to marinate as well.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• You are a thoughtful egger Richard. Spirals have become our favorite for the holidays too.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • I'm sorry to hear about your friend.  Looks like you did him proud for his sister!
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What marinade?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Bomb-diggity.

Maple-Bourbon Ham*
    by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients :

Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 # cooked, ready to eat ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks

Procedure :

The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Stabilize egg at 250° with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° (this should take about 5 hours).

Maple-Bourbon Paste

2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbls. Bourbon
    1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Paprika
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    2 tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Thanks Smokeypitt for the precise recipe.  The previous poster didn't give me enough to do it.  Your post does.  To me, that's what this forum is all about.   :-c

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Has anybody cooked Egret's ham at a higher temp for a shorter period of time?
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Great looking ham. Will have to give it a try for the holidays.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Has anybody cooked Egret's ham at a higher temp for a shorter period of time?
    I have not...however I think it would be fine.  You are starting with a precooked ham, so you are really just heating it up.  Cooking it slower just gives it more time to soak up smoke, but I'm sure it would be fine at higher temps. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Nice ham!! Has me looking fwd to the holidays. :)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Has anybody cooked Egret's ham at a higher temp for a shorter period of time?

I go 300/325 and fine for me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    will be doing this on thanksgiving morning

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Nice. Thanks. I put it on my list to do.
    LBGE
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Looking up ham recipes for Christmas Day and found this.  It looks alot like the Maple-Bourbon Ham recipe in the Smoke and Spice cookbook.  Picked up a 10# spiral sliced to give this a go.  First ham on the egg.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • I cooked the Maple bourbon ham for Thanksgiving and it was fabulous. I am cooking it again tomorrow. Yum. I can't wait.