Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza!

Options
Pizza! Got the BGE up to 500; used King Arthur's Perfect Pizza Dough. Cooked the pizza dough for 6 minutes to set up the dough, pulled it off and put on toppings. Only took 4 minutes for second cook. Lessons Learned: made a Magherita Pizza for Mama & I, should have drained the buffalo cheese (Fresh Mozzerella), it left the top of the pizza a little watery. The kiddos topped their own pizzas, did not roll their dough out as thin, more like a hand-tossed thickness but very strong crust. Pizza peel, pizza stone, as well as bottom of the pizza crust (even before the first cook) all covered in corn meal. Slide on, slide off. Too easy. Also, a Best Practice (very obvious, but I have messed this up before) is to make sure the pizza stone stays in the BGE from the very beginning - you want it as hot as possible.

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Excellent, and welcome aboard.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Knock em out Miles. Guys please say hello to a real good guy: Miles Brown. Anyone who has a kilt and plays is own pipes, what can you say. Now the guy can cook.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Knock em out Miles. Guys please say hello to a real good guy: Miles Brown. Anyon who has a kilt and plays is own pipes, what can you say. Now the guy can cook.
    Well the kilt is good, now if he only played the concertina.......
    >:D<

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Nice looking za's!  Great job and welcome aboard!  :)
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Knock em out Miles. Guys please say hello to a real good guy: Miles Brown. Anyone who has a kilt and plays is own pipes, what can you say. Now the guy can cook.
    I liked every thing about him until you vouched for him, now I am suspicious...

Welcome aboard Mr @milesbrown4 What tartan is your kilt or do ya just pick the one that matches yer shoes that day?
    (Proud wearer of the Davidson)

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Interesting.  Never heard of anyone ever "setting up the dough" before putting on the toppings.

Also, I see a lot of people using corn meal but I've never had the need for it.  I rub some flour on my wooden pizza peel and don't put anything on the pizza stone.  Never had the dough stick to either.

Good looking pies and welcome to the board!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Parchment paper here for the first two or three mins then pull.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• milesbrown4
    Options
    Parchment paper sounds good - need to try that.  As for the tartan, I favor the Citadel one (where I went to college) and the tartan of the U.S. Army.  
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Parchment paper sounds good - need to try that.  As for the tartan, I favor the Citadel one (where I went to college) and the tartan of the U.S. Army.  
    Parchment is for me "idiot" proof, it works every time. Corn meal can burn as can flour, but they all work. Another advantage of parchment, if you are careful, is you can grab a piece and spin the pie 180 degrees before you pull the paper out, even cooking. 
    I like the Citadel tartan, very St Andrew, Welcome aboard Sir!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!