Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turtle Eggs

Many thanks to Chris from Nibblemethis for the sea turtle egg recipe. We've done those a couple times now and they are always a hit. Anywho, I am about to throw on a few dozen this morning to bring to my family's Christmas party. I used a 50/50 mix of JD Sage Sausage and Ground Venison this time around, along with some reduced sodium dales. I'll post up some pix a little later. Merry Christmas, guys and gals!

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Very nice, North Carolina!

Had a chance to go fire your new toy yet?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Haven't fired it yet. I'm going to order some optics from Burris first. My wife is making me wait a few weeks tho since the AR was just shy of $1000. lol. I can't figure out how to post pix from my phone, so I'll post the pix of the turtle eggs tonight. Turned out awesome!
  • Dyal_SC

Here are the pix.  I haven't figured out how to post pix from my phone yet, so that's what took me so long.  :) 

Smoked them up indirect with Apple and Cherry wood at a 250 deg f dome temp for about 45 minutes, when they hit an internal temp of 160 deg f.  You can't see it from the pix, but they had some diced jalapenos in there with the cheese mixture.  I used pickled japs this time, since that's all I had in the house.  They worked well and weren't too spicy for even the kids in my family.  Everyone enjoyed them.  Wonderful recipe, and it worked great with the ground venison too.  Thanks again, Chris from Nibblemethis. 

• I'm making them on Christmas eve for a family gathering, hope mine come out as good as yours look
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • I got a couple of 1 lb tubes, I think I'm gonna make my cheese mix and roll into balls and chill before I wrap in sausage
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Dyal_SC
    Thanks fellas. I used 2 tubes of JD and 2 lbs of ground venison. Mixed it up with my Kitchen Aid and then formed it all up into one big roll. Then cut it into 32 equal pieces. I took pix of that too. First time posting from my phone, so hope this works. If not, I'll post the pix when I get back from hunting tonight.
  • Dyal_SC
    Woah, those pix are upside down for some reason. I'll fix it tonight.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    They want to get my,
    Sausage on the ceiling.....
  • Dyal_SC said:
    Woah, those pix are upside down for some reason. I'll fix it tonight.
    I figured your sausage was so light and fluffy it just floated away.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Dyal_SC

Hahaha, you guys think you're soooo funny.  ;) Here are some better pix.  I used about one tablespoon of the cheese mixture per turtle egg (whipped cream cheese, colby jack and jalapenos).

• These look great. I might have to give this a go for the trip up to the Rose Bowl. Do you put any rub on the outside before smoking?
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Dyal_SC
    Thanks a lot, Black_Badger!  Yup, I worked some Dizzy Pig Down and Dizzy into the meat along with the Reduced Sodium Dale's Seasoning.  Then before smoking them up, I sprinkled on some more Down and Dizzy.  You can use whatever BBQ rub you prefer.