Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dessert ideas for the Egg

Any easy dessert idea that I can cook on the Egg for Christmas?  Already cooking a prime rib and baked (possible twice baked) potatoes.  WOuld like to make something else.  Looking for a simple recipe.  I could just go get a tube of cookie dough and cook them on the egg but wanted something a little home made.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• A lot of people have had good results making a pineapple upside down cake on the egg.

Lots of good ideas here:
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    The first dessert I made was those pre-made cookie square things that you break apart. Mainly cuz I had the Egg fired up and wanted to see how they would turn out. Pineapple upside down cake is always good and easy, I've done a chocolate pecan bourbon pie before and some giant cast iron skillet cookies. Whatever you can do in your oven, you can do on the Egg.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    NY cheesecake.  There's a recipe for it that looks about right in the dessert forum.  I probably made 1000 of them when I worked at the restaurant in the days of yore.  They're pretty foolproof, and everyone knows, a hint of smoke works well with cheese.  You need the right cake pan.
    Dessert pizza?
    Top with Nutella bananas and coconut. Oh my!!!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Have done strawberry rhubarb cobbler, pecan pie, cookies, and pineapple upside down cake.
    Oh also did a carrot cake.
    All came out great.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I just made crostatas for a dinner party - Ina gave me the idea. I used store bought pie crust. Google crostata and there are some very easy ones. I opened a package of pie dough, diced an apple and scooped a jar of apple pie jam that I made over the top, baked and served. Apple Crostata Prep Time:20 minInactive Prep Time:1 minCook Time:25 min Level: Intermediate Serves: 6 servings Ingredients For the pastry: 1 cup all-purpose flour 2 tablespoons granulated or superfine sugar 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt 1/4 pound (1 stick) very cold unsalted butter, diced 2 tablespoons ice water For the filling: 1 1/2 pounds McIntosh, Macoun, or Empire apples (3 large) 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest 1/4 cup flour 1/4 cup granulated or superfine sugar 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced Directions For the pastry, place the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse a few times to combine. Add the butter and pulse 12 to 15 times, or until the butter is the size of peas. With the motor running, add the ice water all at once through the feed tube. Keep hitting the pulse button to combine, but stop the machine just before the dough becomes a solid mass. Turn the dough onto a well-floured board and form into a disk. Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Flour a rolling pin and roll the pastry into an 11-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Transfer it to a baking sheet. For the filling, peel, core, and cut the apples into 8ths. Cut each wedge into 3 chunks. Toss the chunks with the orange zest. Cover the tart dough with the apple chunks leaving a 1 1/2-inch border. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and allspice in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture is crumbly. Pour into a bowl and rub it with your fingers until it starts holding together. Sprinkle evenly on the apples. Gently fold the border over the apples to enclose the dough, pleating it to make a circle. Bake the crostata for 20 to 25 minutes, until the crust is golden and the apples are tender. Allow to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • GrannyX4
    Sorry, I didn't type it like that. Stupid IPad".........
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    S'mores pizza is a foco rite of ours. Pizza dough topped with marshmallow chocolate chips (milk chocolate preferrably), graham crackers crushed mixed with butter to make a crumble sprinkled all over the top they are done when your dough is done. Eat right away doesn't reheat or hold well.
  • Tjcoley did some outrageous dessert dish not long ago.  I put it on my shortlist, but I lost the link.  Hopefully, he will chime in.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• We are pie people. Usually buttermilk and pecans. What granny posted looks really interesting. Will be giving that a try. Clafoutis are good on the egg too
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • GrannyX4
    I also did some with sauted mushrooms, onions and cheese. So easy with premade pie crust.
  • apple pie in an apple. Get some granny smith apples and cut out alot of the meat and then mix that with some cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of flour, and 1/2 teaspoon of butter per apple,1 tablespoon of honey per apple, put it back into the apple. Cross stitch some pie dough across the top and bake in the egg for 45-60 minutes @ about 400. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    There may be a few more  No wonder I'm so weight challenged. 
  • apple pie in an apple. Get some granny smith apples and cut out alot of the meat and then mix that with some cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of flour, and 1/2 teaspoon of butter per apple,1 tablespoon of honey per apple, put it back into the apple. Cross stitch some pie dough across the top and bake in the egg for 45-60 minutes @ about 400. 

This recipe has been on my list to try for some time, gonna see what we can do to make an effort soon.  Sounds so good.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• It was the Apple Strudel that I was thinking of.  Thanks !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    crostata's look promising and easy.  I could put them on right after I pull the Prime Rib off.

Garnerville, NY
  • Grill pineapple rings,  Mix whipped cream 1/2 and 1/2 with marscapone cheese.  Fill parfait cups with the mix.  Cut the pineapple rings in half and stick them in the creamy mix and garnish with fresh mint leaves if available.  Very easy and can be made ahead of time and kept in fridge.