Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brat and Chicken question from a rookie

Options

Want to do something fast tonight.  Should I do Johnsonville Brats indirect or direct?

Also, when I am cooking chicken breast or brats, shoud I be using a drip pan?  Do I put the drip pan on top of the charcoal?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited December 2012
    Options

An opinion and we all know what those are worth-first direct means a straight shot from the lump to the target cook regardless if raised grid or not-indirect-obviously a heat deflector in place (deflector can be about anything-pan, bricks, platesetter,  oval stone, you get the idea).  For chicken and brats-I always cook direct, raised grid-meaning I get the grid high in the dome-at least to the gasket level or higher.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Personal preference I like a hot heavy apple smoke on mine indirect around 300 with a tray of onions and bell peppers in a bath of beer under them let the roll for about an hour delicious and smokey.

Onions and peppers make a great topping.
  • bezdecr
    Options

How do you raise the grid as opposed to just putting the grid on the fire ring? What do you use to to this?

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Raised grid-you can spend big $$ and probably will down the road but the easy solution is to use/balance three empty beverage cans on the ring.  You can use fire bricks if available.  Another approach is to get another grid-weber has many sizes that fit-then use it and the cans or anything else on the lower grid (on the ring) to get the elevation.  4-5 inch bolts and another grid also works-try the search function.  If that yields nothing, use google and with your query about raised grid add big green egg and you should get many hits.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • U_tarded
    Options
    bezdecr said:

How do you raise the grid as opposed to just putting the grid on the fire ring? What do you use to to this?

Empty beer cans or bricks on the fire ring is the simplest. Or you can get a second grid from a weber at Home Depot and ad some stainless bolts and nuts and build and extended grate.
  • U_tarded
    Options
    No problem enjoy!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Chicken Breasts do not need a drip pan when cooking indirect, legs and thighs do, but not breasts. Breasta also do well raised direct or low direct if heat is held down <400, IMHO.
    Brats can go either direct or indirect. If done indirect without a drip pan, you could end up with a fat drip on your setter. 
    I prefer indirect in a beer bath or onion or kraut - depending on what you are serving with them. Cooked slow, they will not split, might need some browning. Traditional German brats, at least from our friends in Germany, suggest to drop in boiling water, turn off the heat. sit for 5 to 6 minutes, then brown over open fire (in an egg is acceptable)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Cook brats direct but keep close attention, the worst thing you can do is split the casing.  I take that back, the worse thing you can do is par-boil them, sucks all the flavor out.  Should take approx. 15 minutes rotating regularly until they have browned and are firm to the touch.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Cook brats direct but keep close attention, the worst thing you can do is split the casing.  I take that back, the worse thing you can do is par-boil them, sucks all the flavor out.  Should take approx. 15 minutes rotating regularly until they have browned and are firm to the touch.
    Absolutely correct, do not par boil, drop them in boiling water off the heat, cover for 5-10 minutes. Not boiled, heated. There is no loss in the taste, unless you split the casing, that's why real Germans always hit them with a warm bath before they burn them at the stake. 

Much depends on the brat. I'm not talking about those grocery store wannabe's, I'm talking about a more traditional deli style brat. 

If you are using Johnsonville sausages, it really doesn't matter what you do, treat 'em like weiners. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!