Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Cooking Time

I am planning to do a larger prime rib, boneless, ~10 lbs cooking at about 235 with a reverse sear. Anybody have a time estimate?

I have seen figures as long as 30 min/lb, i.e. 5 hours plus 20 minutes to rest to as little as 2.5 hrs. This is a dinner party so I am trying to time it somewhat in the ballpark.

Thanks.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    2 to 3 hours. Typically, PR is about 2# to the rib, so a 10# boneless is about 5-6 ribs equivalent. The determining factor is the thickness, not the length. A "square" 2 rib roast will cook in the same time as 6 rib roast or a 10 rib roast if you had an oven/egg big enough to put it in. The issue is the thickness, in other words from the outside to the center of the meat. 

Reverse sear is the way to go. At 235, the internal will be 115-120 in 2-1/2 hours minimum. Pull to sear and rest so about 3 to 3-1/2 hours will do it. As long as you don't sear the hell out of it, it will hold in a warm oven very well. 

30 minutes per pound to medium is about right for 5 pound roast. It is also about right for the same rib cut at 10 pounds. 

As an added piece of advice, tie your boneless rib roast to make it as round as possible, gives the best edge to edge doneness. (It will all cooke the same)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • What skidmeister said!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Excellent. Thanks.
  • How is this for a game plan for a 7PM dinner time

1:20   Remove prime rib from refrigerator 
    2:20   Light the egg and stabilize at 235 with DigiQ
    3:20  Put the 10 lb prime rib on the egg
    6:20   Anticipate internal temp of 120 after 3 hours of cooking. Remove meat and fire up the egg
    6:40   Reverse sear the prime rib
    6:45   Wrap in foil for 20 min to rest. If done early, wrap in foil and keep warm in 160 degree oven.
    7:05   Carve and serve  
  • Don't wrap it foil. Loosely tent it with foil. If you wrap it it will steam cook itself. A ten pound roast should rest a little longer, 1/2 hour min. Start ten to 15 minutes earlier. I usually get 25 minutes per pound at 250 until the length exceeds the diameter. Less if it's boneless.

Steve 

Caledon, ON