Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Mini is a Great 2nd BGE

Options
Lots of post about small vs mini. If you want a 2nd egg, you need to consider the mini. It is the way to go for 2 people. My youngest is home from collage. I used a chimney starter to light my lump. The 3 of us are sitting down to eat Blackened Salmon in 30 minutes. Light and cook time included. No, it doesn't have all the toys the other BGE's have.. I have made a plate setter. Raised the grid. I can to most anything I need to for 2 or 3 people. Ribs as well. You just stack and move around a little. Large for the weekend and the mini during the week!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Not sure about " No, it doesn't have all the toys the other BGE's have".

I have for the Mini a wok, pizza stones, indirect stone, CI plate to fry on or can use as indirect, Mini Woo to get raised cooks, a HiQue for better/faster heat, and several other items I can't think of just now. I can't think of any item the Mini not having that others do: ok the heat reducing ring from an XL and a Handler.....

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Oh, good looking fish....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Great looking fish and you are right...the mini does make a second great egg. Might not for everybody, but for just the two of us, it has become our workhorse, especially during the week.

I've got the Mini Woo, two pizza stones and a wok. I've been meaning to see if my tiny cast iron skillet will fit if I cut off the handle.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Options

Jason I would not cut your tiny CI. Got this lodge as it fits like it was made for your Mini Woo:

I use my small Lodge with handle on both the Mini and Large for Red Onions all the time.

imageimage

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Yeah, that's true. I was kinda thinking mini pan pizzas. Where did you get that griddle?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Options

http://www.missionrs.com/L70GH3.html

We have one in Austin. If problem getting (you do need it) I will be glad to pick one up for you.

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I'm right with you about the mini. Mickey even did a fryer on it the other day. For just the two of us, I never fire up the large during the week. Now, when my 22-year-old stepson visits on the weekend, I do fire up the large. ...
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia