Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions from a Newbie

I'm picking up my first Big Green Egg this coming Wednesday and I cannot freaking wait!  It is a large egg with cypress table.

I'm looking for the best advice you can give me when it comes to the BGE.  I would also like to hear some of the must have eggcessories, as well as some of your favorite web sites/blogs.  

Thank you in advance and I look forward to getting to know everyone.
Greg

Comments

• A thermopen instant read thermometer or similar is a must have,a nice to have is a Maverick  Et 732 remote read thermometer .

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Skip the placesetter and get an adjustable rig from ceramic grill store instead. Much more versatile.

Good thermometer, Thermapens are great

Good thick gloves, I use welding gloves to remove pizza stones, placesetters, cast iron skillets, etc.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Further to what Griff says, the AR is great, but at as much as 4 times the price of a discounted setter, it is expensive - it does so much more than a setter, but still quite expensive. 
    If you are just picking up your egg, most dealers will give you deep discounts on the setter at time of purchase. If you can get one for 1/2 price, buy it. 
    Allows smoking, indirect cooks and baking. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Griffin
    I will say that I don't have an AR, just a place setter. It's worked fine for me for over two years (in combination with the BGE Raised Grate), but they are no where near as versatile as the AR. Had I known, I would have gotten that to start with.

Rowlett, Texas

• I broke my plate setter this weekend, and cemented it back together  (knocked it over with the shop vac hose).  It held up on my sunday cook, but i went ahead and got the adjustable rig in anticipation of it's failure.  Make sure to be careful with it!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,670
    i have the adjustable rig. i never bought a platesetter. just as good as a platesetter is an extra 18 inch weber grid and 5 fire brick splits, with it you can raise the grate for raised grate cooking direct, and lay 3 more bricks flat down the center and have a raised grate indirect cook. its really all you need to do most cooks and its cheap and simple
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The real question is how much cash you wanna blow?  This is a good way to blow some!!

I have the platesetter as well, however, if I would have known what I know now, I would have bought the Adjustable Rig from the ceramic grill store.  I do not have that yet, but from the looks of it, reading about it, it's the way to go.

Without a doubt, you do need a way to cook indirect or the purchase of the egg was all for nothing!!!

If you go AR, a drip pan comes in a package with it, if you go the plate setter route, you'll need a drip pan, you'll want one that fits on the plate setter and is not higher than the plate setters legs...or your grate will rest on the pan.

Gloves, Good Tongs or Spatula/with a Tong, Thermo, Stop Watch, Ash Tool, Grate Lifter,

• I have the adjustable rig, and the plate setter. I like both for different uses. Pizza I like having the plate setter in to block the scorching direct heat. A 1 butt or brisket cook, i use the plate setter. The rig gets used for elevated direct cooking, or when im cooking multiple butts and brisket

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    GBC said:
    I'm picking up my first Big Green Egg this coming Wednesday and I cannot freaking wait!  It is a large egg with cypress table.

I'm looking for the best advice you can give me when it comes to the BGE.  I would also like to hear some of the must have eggcessories, as well as some of your favorite web sites/blogs.  

Thank you in advance and I look forward to getting to know everyone.
    Greg

One thing I suggest is keep it clean for it to work properly. Make sure the draft holes are always clear and clean out the ashes every few cooks or so. It winds up being about every 4-5 for me, I have the XL. I take everything out of mine and clean all the ash out. Might be overkill, but I'm anal about stuff being in good working condition. There is a good video on youtube about cleaning your egg.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    My best advice is to learn how to load, light and get good smoke.  There are a bunch of threads on those topics, good reading.

My neighbor just melted his shop vac by sucking up still burning lump
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    I take mine apart and clean it out too, but a word of caution here!
    MAKE SURE ALL THE LUMP IS OUT AND COLD BEFORE YOU USE YOUR SHOP-VAC!!!

My neighbor just melted his shop vac by sucking up still burning lump
    LOL! Guess he was in a hurry.
  • GBC
    GBC Posts: 58
    Again, I'm a newbie here so please excuse my ignorance.

Is the plate setter used during indirect cooking?  If so then why would you recommend an adjustable rig over a plate setter? 
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    The AR gives you multi layer cooking options but you do have to have a BGE pizza stone with the AR. I have both the plate setter and AR and I use both...a lot...and yes they are both used for indirect cooking...it turns your BGE into an outdoor oven...
  • I have both the adj rig and a plate setter.

If I had to choose one, it would be the adj rig.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I have both the adj rig and a plate setter.

If I had to choose one, it would be the adj rig.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Things you'll need and that will help you.

Stretchy pants...kiss your waist bye bye
    2nd mortgage to pay for accessories and groceries
    Have an affair with your butcher..(see above)
    Large dog to keep hungry, mooching neighbors away.
    Some kind of discount on beer and/or liquor
    Unemployment...you'll spend all day on this forum
    Shop classes. You'll feel the need to build a new home around your egg...nicer than the one you live in
    Invest in an oil/gas company...you'll be burning a lot going back and forth to Costco.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Get:  Pizza stone.  And Maverick ET 732 - look for it on Amazon.  Will run you about $65.  I use it on at least half my cooks.  It's a must have for slow smokes.  Go back to where you bought your egg and ask about the placesetter.  You must have one of these.  Critical. 

Advice:  Time is not as important as is temperature.  Cooking times will be estimates.  Read and learn.  And then cook to a target temperature, not necessarily for a specific length of time. -
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

Accessory advice:  Get a pizza stone, and a pizza peel.  I'd also highly recommend something to cook indirectly (platesetter or adjustable rig). Without it, you'd have a much harder time with low and slows. 

Cooking Advice: 

1) Burp your egg before opening it all the way. This is especially true at high temperatures when cooking pizza or searing a steak.  Just hold the egg open an inch or two for a few seconds and then slowly open the dome. If you don't, you'll flash burn the hair off your wrist and forearm.  Get in the habit of burping it every time, and you won't forget down the road.

2) Keep track of what you cook, how long it took, how you rigged it (platesetter legs down, raised rack, direct, etc) dome temperature, whether or not you liked it, etc.  I totally nerded out and put together a spreadsheet.  It's just a good way of documenting things I did right and wrong, and helps me fine tune later cooks.

3) Buy Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust, and make Mickey's Coffee Rub.  Both are crazy good.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• MJQ8
    MJQ8 Posts: 43
    henapple said:
    Things you'll need and that will help you. Stretchy pants...kiss your waist bye bye 2nd mortgage to pay for accessories and groceries Have an affair with your butcher..(see above) Large dog to keep hungry, mooching neighbors away. Some kind of discount on beer and/or liquor Unemployment...you'll spend all day on this forum Shop classes. You'll feel the need to build a new home around your egg...nicer than the one you live in Invest in an oil/gas company...you'll be burning a lot going back and forth to Costco.

What he said.

Any cook you can walk away from is a good one.
  • MJQ8
    MJQ8 Posts: 43
    Also a box of your favorite cigars to celebrate your victories or contemplate what you could do better next time as you watch $40 ribs turn into dust:| 
    Any cook you can walk away from is a good one.
  • henapple
    Also...things to not do:

Get drunk, start your egg with a heat gun and pass out.
    Don't ever, and I mean ever disrespect any charcoal lump. It will be somebody's favorite and they will hunt you down and gut you like a fish.
    Be afraid. Try everything and add your own twist.
    Post about a great cook and not post pictures...see the fish comment above.
    Ask who "Stike" is.
    Question anything Nola, Cen-Tex, Griffin and the more experienced guys say...they'll pimp slap you.
    I forgot to add Little Steven and Travis to the list of people not to question.
    Use Royal Oak lump....here we go.
  • 1. Make sure you skin is thick enough to be here
    2. When you ask a question think about how it could be turned against you
    3. Don't be afraid to post about your failures (See # 1)
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Don't get overwhelmed and start simple. Christmas is coming. Put accessories on your list. I had a plate setter, maverick thermometer, half moon grate, BGE cookbook a month before I nought my egg. It will save you money. Also, don't forget the most important part. Stock up on lump. The best lump? That's a Ford or Chevy question. I like Humphrey and Royal Oak. Try a few to see what you like.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Griffin

I've NEVER pimp slapped anybody...but I'll sure as heck shake the sh!t outta somebody. I kid, I kid. Feel free to ask away, we only get rude to those we feel comfortable around and know can take a joke. I'm willing to answer any questions I can. I've learned a lot here (and on other forums) by asking questions, so I like to give back when I can.

Good first cook would be a spatchcock chicken or chicken parts of some kind. Cheap and easy and will allow you to figure out how to adjust your temperatures.

Rowlett, Texas

• henapple
    @Griffin...hehe
  • The best accessories are not necessarily tools or rigs.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Don't get overwhelmed and start simple. Christmas is coming. Put accessories on your list. I had a plate setter, maverick thermometer, half moon grate, BGE cookbook a month before I nought my egg. It will save you money. Also, don't forget the most important part. Stock up on lump. The best lump? That's a Ford or Chevy question. I like Humphrey and Royal Oak. Try a few to see what you like.
    Absoloutely right. Best thing is to grab a grid/grill replacement from a big box store and eight split firebricks. That way you can go raised grid, indirect, and pizza/baking. You would need an airbake pan or cheap stone for pizza. Then blow the bank afterwards

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Griffin
    @SamFerrise - Bushmills and Jameson? It's either/or, not both. From what I've always heard, if you are from Ireland, people supposedly can tell if you are Catholic or Protestant by which one you drink. Me? I'll take Powers. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    The best accessories are not necessarily tools or rigs.
    Love Thomas Handy!

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle