Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question bout the stall

Options
I'm cooking a couple of butts.  I woke up about 3am and the grill temp was 260 and the internal was 174.  At 4:30 the grill temp had dropped to 225 and the internal was still 173.  The internal started dropping and 4 hours later it is 163 and holding steady.  My gill temp is around 235.  The butt has been on the grill about 12 hours.

I am assuming that this is the stall.  I have read that the stall happens at about 150 but if this is the stall......then it happened at about 173 during this cook.

Does this sound about normal?  I just recently got the maverick so I have never really witnessed this phenomena before.   thanks.

Comments

• rustypotts
    Options
    Another interesting note for those like me who are new to the stall.  My stall took four hours to go from 174 down to 163 and start back up.  In the next 3 hours the temp has risen from 163 to 190.  I know all you old hands are used to this but as a Maverick newbie I find it all fascinating.  If I had not read about the phenomenon here I would have assumed something was wrong with my temp.

Previously I had cooked with the instant read thermometer only so I totally missed the stall.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If I start getting tired of the stall, I just jack up the temp and muscle through it.  You're breaking down collagen in the stall, but the reason the temp isn't rising is because water is evaporating.  It's not a big deal (except maybe in brisket flats) - stick to your timeline.   The stall is figured in to the well-known per-pound estimates of time and temp.
    Options
    That is interesting...usually I don't see the temp drop (maybe a degree or two), it just hangs at a certain temp and slowly creeps up.  Usually happens anywhere from 160-180, but for whatever reason seems to take about 10 degrees.  Like...it takes 3 hours to get from 170-180, then it climbs faster. 

I think the fact that the grid temp dropped 35 degrees must be the reason why the internal temp dropped so much.  The stall doesn't affect the temp of the egg, just the meat.  I think this was just coincidence that you hit the meat stall at the same time your egg got a little clogged with ash which restricted the airflow and lowered the cooker temp. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options

below is a link to a very lengthy article taht explains the science behind the stall-

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html In addition, the main amazing ribs site is full of more info than you can digest.  This one along with the following TNW site are a great reference:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm Enjoy the reading

:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • rustypotts
    Options
    SmokePitt........That's what I suspect although I still can't figure out why the grill temp dropped.  Maybe it was ash like you say.