Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WGWW - Is this typical?

SmokinDAWG82
SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just bought my first bag of Wicked Good Lump and first 2 chunks on top are huge, one looks like an old fence post. Will have to take a hammer to them. Is this typical?
LBGE
Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
WGWW.JPG 135.6K

Comments

• Take a hammer to 'em.  No, its not unusual for WGWW.
    Flint, Michigan
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    As Fred says-not unusual...you can always make the big pieces smaller with the calibrated hammer, reverse; no such luck.  And it is about the most "smoke-neutral" lump I have used.  Takes a while to get burning but leaves very little ash compared to other brands. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    That's all I use! Every bag I buy has a LOT of lump that size. My favorite lump!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • I'll use my electric Hammer drill and I'm sure it will be fine
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • That's why I use RO.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    lousubcap said:
    ...you can always make the big pieces smaller with the calibrated hammer, reverse; no such luck.   
    They make a meat glue, don't they make a lump glue?   :D

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I buy cowboy for my mini and small and wicked good for my large and XL. Just put the huge pieces to the side for overnighters.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Always have some big pieces with WGWW.  Break them up with a hammer and chisel and never use anything bigger than fist sized.  The really big pieces seem to create cool spots.  Seems like fist size and below gives a more consistent burn.  
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Large pieces, small amount of ash. I also agree with the comment about being "smoke neutral". I have had no problems baking even sweet dishes with WGWW. As long as you warm up the Egg properly, there is no smoke flavor on my baked goods.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • ben4unc
    ben4unc Posts: 14
    edited December 2012

None better for low and slow!!!  The Best out there.  RO has turned into dust/tiny pieces.

You can order online at www.acehardware.com and this product can be shipped free to your local Ace for right at $21.00 for 22lbs.  Also, Ace will have online 10,15, and 20% off sales that can be used on this fine product. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ben4unc said:

None better for low and slow!!!  The Best out there.  RO has turned into dust/tiny pieces.

You can order online at www.acehardware.com and this product can be shipped free to your local Ace for right at $21.00 for 22lbs.  Also, Ace will have online 10,15, and 20% off sales that can be used on this fine product. 

Ace has 15% off your on-line order, today only.  You can get lump shipped free to any store.

Ace has 15% off your on-line order, today only.  You can get lump shipped free to any store.
    Even to Home Depot? I don't think we have Ace stores here :D

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Absolutely.  They'll even build a Home Despot near your house just to ship it there FREE!!!
  • I do the same as others, I will lay the biggest pieces aside for long cooks. But even some of them have to be broken up. By no means have I been doing this as long as most on here, but of the 5 or 6 brands I have tried its the best burning and cleanest. When Ace had the 50% off sale I stocked up using every email address I had including my wife's and scored 4 bags for under $45.00 :D

I have not tried Cowboy yet, it is on my list to buy next time I am in Lowes

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I have two kingsford containers,  one for those large chunks and the other for regular. After a clean vaccum, I load the large chunks on the bottom and then build up. Sometimes in a long slow burn, I add a couple of those mammoth ones. Its nice to separate and have available.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    That us my favorite lump, but I do mix in just a bit if RO as kindling to get it started. Nothing better than WW