Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili from my Veggie Basket

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,487
Made chili on the Egg today.  Normally I cook a single roast (usually 7-bone) and then dice it up after its mostly cooked and add it to the chili.  Didn't see a good roast at the market yesterday, so I thought I'd try stew meat in my vegetable basket this time.  It worked okay, a bit messy but the meat cooked very quickly.  
I thought maybe the extra surface area would collect more smoke flavor (I used Jack Daniels barrel and a bit of mesquite) but the chile flavor kind've masked it (I used four dried poblanos and six dried japones, soaked in hot chicken broth, stemmed and blended).  
Good stuff, Maynard!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Looks good! Did you use that fancy DO on your egg? Also what are you using for a gasket... It looks like peanut butter between your base and dome.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    @Brownie: the gasket is that copper gasket stuff you can get at the auto parts store, I spread a heavy bead on the bowl rim, covered it with saran wrap, then lowered the lid and and let it set a couple days.  Ain't purty, but it seals perfectly and has been durable so far.
    What is a "DO"?  
    :-$

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Dutch Oven... How long have you been using your copper glue gasket? Are you happy with it? It seems like a good idea.