Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib for Christmas

Options
I've read all of the previous posts and links which were great help but I still have some questions. Experience seems split on roasting indirect at 350 or low and slow at 250 and then searing before or after. So I'm comfortable either will produce great results. How about smoke? Do you add wood chunks? If so what flavor? I'm also thinking of having it deboned but then reattaching it to the rack for cooking. Any idea on how much time that adds to cooking rate?

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Check out these videos

I've done both of these and the results are great.  Personally, I don't add wood chunks.  I don't want prime rib to taste like BBQ.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    This year will mark my first prime rib on the Egg. I started doing prime rib on my gas grill at 350 with smoke from hickory chips from the smoker drawer. When I got my smoker I switched over to doing it at 225 with smoke from hickory chunks. The 225 version was moister and I could get more smoke flavor from the smoker vs the gas grill. The recipe I'd used most often was from the Virtual Weber Bullet website and what they did was preheat the Kitchen oven to 500 degrees and put the roast and roast pan in the oven after it came off the smoker. Make sure you get the rack positioned so the roast fits in correctly BEFORE you heat the oven. Eight minutes seemed to work out right. 

I've always did bone in tied off like you say, so I don't know what time difference bone-in/bone out make.I usually get a 5 bone, 10 pound roast and it took about 4 1/2 to 5 hours at 225. I suspect it will cook a bit faster on the Egg due to the better insulation. If you put a remote read temperature probe in the meat you can quickly figure out the done time. Once the temperatures start rising give it another 30 minutes or so and the rise tends to be very linear with no plateaus. So once you know it is rising X degrees in Y minutes you can do the math and you will hit your done time very closely.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    I just posted my prime rib cook.  I typically cook mine at around 350, with an initial sear at 500-550.  JFM is right, though - it does cook faster on the egg.  I have not tried the 250-300 cook, but am more than willing to try.  Even at the 350 grate temp (about 375 dome), it still produces a very tender and juicy roast. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Piganytime
    Options
    Great help. Thanks!