Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice for small steaks

I received two small Allen Brothers steaks as a gift and plan to cook them on the Egg tonight. They are petite filets (not too thin but very small diameter) so I can only get a portion of my remote thermometer in. I want to cook medium rare. Any advise?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Assuming these are thin cross sectional slices of a beef tenderloin, I wouldn't use a leave-in thermometer.  If they're really thin, searing each side over high heat for 60-90s might cook them.  If you don't care about sear, you could just give them a couple of minutes at about 400F, flip, wait a few minutes, pull, stick with thermopen, and either be done or give another couple minutes, depending on what the pen says.
  • Don't do your remote on high heat cooks.

Put these in hot tap water for an hour in a zip lock then sear them hard on your egg or in a pan and they will be perfect. No longer than 60-90 seconds on the sear. Real hot, real fast 

Tap water is usually around 130-135 which is perfect med rare
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX