Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some vs grill temp

Options
I see a lot where people talking about using their dome temp on long cooks. Would it not be better to have probe near meat more ie clip to grill beside meat?? Would that not give a truer temp and not overheat or under heat where meat actual cooking

Comments

• fairchase
    Options
     For long cooks I always monitor at the grill level.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    For indirect cooks, many people use the grate temp.  Typically that's where I clip my DigiQ probe.
    Options

Since all BGE's have the dome thermo and that is the only given indicator that is "standard" most recipes unlerss otherwise specified refer to the dome thermo.  Besides,any temperature reading is a measure of what is going on inside the BGE.  As long as you know the way the BGE cooks with whatever temperature you use, and you cook to finish temp, it really doesn't make any difference.  I'm sure the location/temperature gradient inside the BGE has as many variables as thermos you could install.  Just recognize that on indirect cooks generally the grid will run 20-40*F lower than the dome when you start out and the longer the dome is shut the closer they get to equilibrium.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.