Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger here - first cook - Ribs - need help

Options
Hi all - I'm Josh from Toronto. Just got my LBGE delivered today. I decided for my first cook I would try ribs.

I got the egg lit up and stabilized it at about 260 dome. I put the ribs on but the temperature has dropped to about 240. I opened up the daisy wheel and the bottom vent, but it doesn't seem to be heating back up. I'm tempted to add more lump, but thought I'd check with the forum first. After reading a number of posts here, I didn't put too much lump in for this cook. A few handfuls at most.

A kind of secondary question - is there a difference in opening the top vent vs the bottom? I've kept them sort of equal "openness", but figured I'd ask if one open more than the other does something.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-- Josh

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    You need to fill the lump at least above the round vent holes in the fire box, better to go to the top of the fire box.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • TorontoBBQer
    Options
    Ok -I will add more lump. Thanks for the quick reply!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited December 2012
    Options

Welcome to the cult-the Kool-Aid is quite good :) . First-when adding anything cold to the BGE the dome temperature will initially drop-platesetter, pizza stone-cold hunk of food.  Thats' normal-the temperature will return to where it was before the addition if the temperature was stable before the add.  Don't know in your case.

With regard to the temperature not responding to increased air-flow (this is an air-flow driven cooker) if you only put in a small amount of lump you are likely running out of fuel.  Within reason you cannot add too much lump as the air drives the temperature if you have fuel to burn. 

Most conversations here regarding handfuls of anything refer to chips for smoke wood so that may be what you recall.

Here's a great info site that covers a lot of good basic material-

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm .  Enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TorontoBBQer
    Options
    Adding more lump did indeed fix the problem. Got the temp back up to 275 and into hour three of the cook. Thanks all!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Adding more lump did indeed fix the problem. Got the temp back up to 275 and into hour three of the cook. Thanks all!
    Welcome.Looks like you are off to a great start.  Lousubcap will always steer you right so take what he says as gospel. Just load it up full with when you start any long cook. When you are done, just shut it down with the ceramic cap and shut the sliding door (do not open the dome without ventilating after you do this.....unless you hate your eyebrows and arm hair). Next cook, just stir the lump a little to ensure good airflow and light er up again.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SmokinBandit
    Options
    Congrats and good luck! My 2 cents: I would agree with filling the fire box up with lump. Also, I wouldn't be discouraged if your temp settles a little low for ribs. I personally shoot for 225 degrees, but I think you would be just fine between 225-275.
    Would love to see pics when you are done!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    A twenty degree drop is ok...fill it, set it and have a beer...for a five hour cook...a 12 pack will do.Maybe.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TorontoBBQer
    Options
    Thanks all for the tips. Into the last phase of the cook now. I will post some pics after dinner!

-- Josh