Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza help

newbie here... I know this is a bizzare request but would someone who is good at making pizzas on the BGE try to type out a short step by step instructions for me? The dough part is what seems to be tough to get. I've heard of several different methods and need to know the best.

Thanks

Comments

• reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Here's what I do:

One yeast packet in 1 cup of hot water - let sit for a few minutes - then stir in a couple Tspns of Olive Oil and a Tspn of Kosher salt

Put 3 cups of whatever flour you want to use  (all purpose is ok - I've started using Antimo Caputo "OO" flour and like it - have also used the King Arthur and like it) - anyway, put the 3 cups of flour into a food processor with the plastic blade.  Pour the yeast/water/oil/salt mixture in and let the processor go - it should form into a ball and chase itself around the processor - if it's too dry and doesn't form a ball, pour a little more water in gradually until it does - let it chase itself around for awhile.

When you take it out of the processor, form it into a ball.  Get a large bowl, put a little Olive Oil in it and swish it around so that the bottom and sides of the bowl are oiled - place the ball in the bowl - cover with a wet dish towel and put in a warm place - in the winter that may be hard to find so put in a window with the sun shining on it or, if all else fails, pre-heat your oven to 200 and then turn it off and put the bowl in there.  Leave for an hour or so - the dough should be at least twice its size - punch it down, knead it some, form it back into a ball and repeat the bowl/warming/rising process.

After the second rise put it out on a floured cutting board, cut in half, roll into two balls and place each half in a baggie and put in the refrigerator if you're not going to use one of them immediately.  If so, put one in the fridge and put the other on the board and cover with saran wrap for an hour to let it rest.  When you want to use the one in the fridge, be sure to pull it out a couple of hours before you're going to use it, cover with saran wrap and let it warm up before you roll it out.

Each ball should make a 13" pizza.  When you're ready to make the pizza, roll it out to the desired size, put it on some parchment paper and put the toppings on it.  In the meantime, light the fire in your BGE.  Once going put in a plate setter, legs up, the grate on top of the legs and the pizza stone on top of the grate. Get the temp up to about 500 degrees stabilized.  Let it sit at that temperature for at least 30 minutes to make sure the stone is up to temp.  Put the pizza on the stone and lower dome.  After about 5 minutes, pull the parchment paper out from under the pizza (should come out easily) - let cook probably another 8 - 10 minutes until the crust is the color you want and toppings are done.  Pull off, slice and eat.

Don't know if this is "the best" but it's the one I use and it works well.
  • I buy ready to go pizza dough. Its normally in the italian section.  But I do plan to go all the way from scratch eventually...just have not taken the time

Good Luck
    Reed- Springhill, Louisiana
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    My method is to buy the whole wheat fresh dough from Trader Joe's for $1. Can't beat it.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • you asked for simple... we've found walmart's pizza crust mix packet to be the best/easiest/fool proof/fastest/cheapest($.50/ea.) method to thin crust pizza's on the egg.  maybe too simple for some of you die hard foodies but when it comes to thin crust it's great.  we'll add an extra splash of water to the mix to even thin in down a little more for an extra thin crust.  also we coat the dough ball with olive before we cover it to let it raise.